Water Resistant Paint?

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

DekHog
Newly registered Member

Water Resistant Paint?

Post by DekHog »

I'll try and keep this short. New house had painted tiles around the bath. They need to stay painted for the time being.

I put Zinsser BIN over the horrible colour that was on and coated with some mid-grey Valspar v500 I had left over from the kitchen. Problem. It bubbles and peels when the warm shower water lands on it.

Have now given it a quick rub and re-coated with BIN.

What do I need to put over it, oil based paint? Need a mid-grey satin finish....

Thanks.
OchAye

Re: Water Resistant Paint?

Post by OchAye »

BIN does not like water. Emulsion (whatever valspar 500 is) on top of bin is a waste of time. Given paints are not meant to resist for long water, oil based undercoat and gloss would be your best bet . You may have to scrape a lot of paint BIN etc since you now know you do not have adhesion.

A different approach would be to look at some Multi Surface Paints (MSP) e.g. Bedec, check the spec if they are suitable for outside use and if yes chance it. One of the bedec things I had used stuck very well so there would be no need for BIN. Probably easier than going down the route of oil based paints.

If it helps a little.
These users thanked the author OchAye for the post:
DekHog
Rating: 7.14%
DekHog
Newly registered Member

Post by DekHog »

That's a real help, thanks for your reply......

.....have just read again. All the existing paint has to come off?? Eeek!
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

DekHog wrote:.....have just read again. All the existing paint has to come off?? Eeek!
Slow down! You got a new house and it is not high on your priorities fitting a new bathroom I get that.

If the old paint was well stuck then you should have cleaned it A LOT. No soap residue left on it, no mildew etc. Scotchbrite pads would be ideal. You must rinse all chemicals off after you finish cleaning.

The paint you put on since then. If BIN has stuck well you might as well chance and paint over it but not with emulsion. If you did not prepare the old surface well then BIN may not stay up for long anyway leaving aside bin is not suitable for external use. If you can return the surface back to the old paint would be the best approach. Then chance Bedec MSP. It comes in satin and in some colours but as I found out when I used it and since then it was verified here, satin does not have good opacity.
These users thanked the author OchAye for the post:
DekHog
DekHog
Newly registered Member

Post by DekHog »

OchAye wrote:
DekHog wrote:.....have just read again. All the existing paint has to come off?? Eeek!
Slow down! You got a new house and it is not high on your priorities fitting a new bathroom I get that.

If the old paint was well stuck then you should have cleaned it A LOT. No soap residue left on it, no mildew etc. Scotchbrite pads would be ideal. You must rinse all chemicals off after you finish cleaning.

The paint you put on since then. If BIN has stuck well you might as well chance and paint over it but not with emulsion. If you did not prepare the old surface well then BIN may not stay up for long anyway leaving aside bin is not suitable for external use. If you can return the surface back to the old paint would be the best approach. Then chance Bedec MSP. It comes in satin and in some colours but as I found out when I used it and since then it was verified here, satin does not have good opacity.
Thanks. The old surface was cleaned to death with pads and meths then washed down with warm water and hand dried. Am sure it was as clean and grease free as it could possibly be! I'll look for the paint you mention or try and find data sheets for it......
Desmondo15

Post by Desmondo15 »

You can spot prime BIN on exterior but I think it's too brittle for anything else outside. I've used it on kitchen tiles with emulsion on top followed by a gloss varnish and it's been solid for 7 years.
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

Where have you been Desmondo15? You left me alone ::b :lol:
The thing with the problem above is, it is not clear to me which paint is coming off. The emulsion or the emulsion and BIN?
Desmondo15

Post by Desmondo15 »

Highly likely the Valspar bubbling. The BIN will do its job but needs to be under another system as it's job is adhesion not water proofing.

I think you could put anything on as long as it's finished with something that stops water coming through like a clear varnish, I'd have to research that a bit though.

Have a look at tile paint and see what there spec sheets say.

Sorry Ochaye but it's been so quiet here I hadn't felt the need to offer any advice mate.
These users thanked the author Desmondo15 for the post:
OchAye
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

according to the zinsser book, Bulls eye 1-2-3 is the most suitable primer.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
Desmondo15

Post by Desmondo15 »

Looks like a good option.

I think the top coats are the biggest issue.
DekHog
Newly registered Member

Post by DekHog »

Well, left the BIN on as was almost sure this wasn't the issue..... had half an old tin of Ronseal white tile paint, so painted over the BIN with it using a 4" roller. The tin says use a brush, but I wasn't impressed with the finish it gave, and was also going to need two coats if brushed on.

A week of getting soaked with hot shower water and it was totally bullet proof, so went and bought a tin of the grey Ronseal which very effectively covered the white in one coat (roller again). No problems since, and seems like it'll last forever.

Thanks to all for the input.
These users thanked the author DekHog for the post:
OchAye

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”