Moderator: Moderators

StevenGibbs
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Green Plasterboard

Post by StevenGibbs »

Hi there

I am currently stripping wallpaper in a small bedroom (3m x 2.5m) which I plan to set up as a home office/study.

The property was built in the 60's and 2 of the walls which are nearly fully stripped (shown in the images attached) had a thin polystyrene layer so have taken all this off. One thing I have noticed is that one of the walls has what looks to be a green plasterboard...or at least I assume it is plasterboard. This wall just backs onto our stairwell.

Is this plasterboard and is it normal or do I need to be worried about anything?
Only ever seen the standard white plasterboard so just wanted to check.

I plan to get the walls skimmed just to give a better finish before I paint. I assume this will be ok on that wall?

And finally, anyone have a rough idea on what it would cost to skim a room of this size? Realise it is a "how long is a piece of string" question but any rough figure to budget on would be ideal.
Attachments
IMG_0553.JPG
IMG_0553.JPG (136.99 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
kellys_eye

Re: Green Plasterboard

Post by kellys_eye »

Looks like it's 'damp proof' (moisture resistant) plasterboard - commonly used in bathrooms but also found in places where there are cold walls which, given the polystyrene you mention you've removed, fits with the answer.

It could equally be water-resistant MDF....... is it actual 'plater' (if you scrape it)?
These users thanked the author kellys_eye for the post:
Job and Knock
Rating: 7.14%
Don't take it personally......
arco_iris

Re: Green Plasterboard

Post by arco_iris »

StevenGibbs wrote:And finally, anyone have a rough idea on what it would cost to skim a room of this size? Realise it is a "how long is a piece of string" question but any rough figure to budget on would be ideal.
Around here (South West Wales) good plasterers charge £8 - £10 a square metre, but allow extra for travelling & setting up, which takes just as long on a small job as a large one. So, this forum is wary of estimating prices but that equates to 3m x 2.5m doubled, times the height (2.4m?), I'd say £350 - £400. My old guy would charge me £250 plus materials but he's not exactly perfect.

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”