What is the best way to repair these rafters

Wood working questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

strath44

What is the best way to repair these rafters

Post by strath44 »

Hi folks,

In short how do I sister / reinforce this rafter in the pic from top to bottom when it has a dog leg!

The rafter to the left of the window is already sistered as it is continuous from top to bottom!

I am currently reinforcing around a couple of velux windows we had fitted when the roof was re-slated. The roofers joiner did an awful job and the spec he was shown on the plans had the rafters either side of the window sistered / doubled up with hangers at the corners - none of which he did.
He put a joist through the livingroom ceiling below so he was told to go forth at that point, the roofers has finished and the job was ok but they aren't coming back to do any more damage.
I have sistered the other ones fine however there are 2 like the one in the image which have been fitted where there was a very historic dormer and a previous repair.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Ps our structural engineer / architect has shown them as sistered on the plans and I agree this is required, but he is away and I need this bit done this weekend ideally!
IMG-26745.jpg
IMG-26745.jpg (820.84 KiB) Viewed 2655 times
IMG-2675.JPG
IMG-2675.JPG (768.45 KiB) Viewed 2655 times
moderator2
UHM Super Moderator

Re: What is the best way to repair these rafters

Post by moderator2 »

moved to carpentry.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

I don't like it but I think that all you can do there is sister up the outside of the RH timber to the point at which it meets the timber inside the circle, then do the same on the opposite side above the Velux. Use plenty of long screws (nailing risks cracking the glass I feel). A bit of a bodge, I'm afraid, but I fear it's too late to do much else.
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
strath44

Post by strath44 »

Thanks for the reply, yes I feel I'm a bit short of options that I can think off, I can't face going 3 timber widths deep - ie sister bottom right and top left then sister over the top of those to bridge the joint!!!??

ps the collar tie is easily removed as they are new and held on with structural screws / bolts

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”