Is this plasterboard?

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

Another
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Is this plasterboard?

Post by Another » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:01 pm

Hi all

Bit of a silly one. I never do DIY but I’ve put a large hole in one of the external walls of my flat.

Can anyone please confirm that this is simply double plasterboard and not something else like AIB? My block of flats looks to be built around the 70-80’s.

Looks to be a plaster skin, two plasterboard and then a timber frame with a yellowish insulation (image https://m.imgur.com/gallery/immXeMR ), then a reddish brick (which I’m thinking are engineering bricks as the other side is the stairwell.

Thanks!
someone-else

Re: Is this plasterboard?

Post by someone-else » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:48 pm

Your image link does not work.
Fret not, a forum is a collection of opinions. Above, are mine.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here
Another
Newly registered Member

Post by Another » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:55 pm

Sorry not sure why the link didn’t work

To note. I used these to cut the hole https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-self-c ... -pcs/5393v which is why I think the papery stuff looks fibery. I’m a computer guy so have no idea with this stuff which is why it’s got me concerned

Another
Newly registered Member

Post by Another » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:03 pm

someone-else wrote:Your image link does not work.
Sorry picture uploaded now!
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:59 pm

That's certainly double skin PB with a layer on insulation beyond. On materials installed pre-1999 (when a blanket ban on the use of asbestos and asbestos-containing materials in construction came in), without testing, you cannot ever be certain that there is no asbestos in the boards (and there were in the past insulated PB boards that contained asbestos - mainly used on local authority builds, I believe). The problem is that asbestos fibres are so small (finer than a human hair and very short) that they cannot be resolved by the human eye. It is highly likely that this is just ordinary PB, though
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"Success is 99% failure" - Soichiro Honda
toolbox

Post by toolbox » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:27 am

As Job and Knock says looks like double plasterboard, there are suggestions that plasterboard contained asbestos but I have never heard of any testing positive certainly in the UK.
HSE do not flag it up as a risk which I would expect if the rumours were true. I might be suspicious of fire doors that have a "plaster" core though. Double plasterboard was used as an alternative to asbestos for integral garage ceilings as it is pretty fire resistant in it's self.

Return to “General DIY forum”