Is this plasterboard?

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

Another
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Is this plasterboard?

Post by Another »

Hi all

Bit of a silly one. I never do DIY but I’ve put a large hole in one of the external walls of my flat.

Can anyone please confirm that this is simply double plasterboard and not something else like AIB? My block of flats looks to be built around the 70-80’s.

Looks to be a plaster skin, two plasterboard and then a timber frame with a yellowish insulation (image https://m.imgur.com/gallery/immXeMR ), then a reddish brick (which I’m thinking are engineering bricks as the other side is the stairwell.

Thanks!
Someone-Else

Re: Is this plasterboard?

Post by Someone-Else »

Your image link does not work.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Another
Newly registered Member

Post by Another »

Sorry not sure why the link didn’t work

To note. I used these to cut the hole https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-self-c ... -pcs/5393v which is why I think the papery stuff looks fibery. I’m a computer guy so have no idea with this stuff which is why it’s got me concerned

Another
Newly registered Member

Post by Another »

someone-else wrote:Your image link does not work.
Sorry picture uploaded now!
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

That's certainly double skin PB with a layer on insulation beyond. On materials installed pre-1999 (when a blanket ban on the use of asbestos and asbestos-containing materials in construction came in), without testing, you cannot ever be certain that there is no asbestos in the boards (and there were in the past insulated PB boards that contained asbestos - mainly used on local authority builds, I believe). The problem is that asbestos fibres are so small (finer than a human hair and very short) that they cannot be resolved by the human eye. It is highly likely that this is just ordinary PB, though
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

As Job and Knock says looks like double plasterboard, there are suggestions that plasterboard contained asbestos but I have never heard of any testing positive certainly in the UK.
HSE do not flag it up as a risk which I would expect if the rumours were true. I might be suspicious of fire doors that have a "plaster" core though. Double plasterboard was used as an alternative to asbestos for integral garage ceilings as it is pretty fire resistant in it's self.

Return to “General DIY forum”