Cold rad on bottom but hot on top

Questions about central heating and boiler questions in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

Bosnian
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cold rad on bottom but hot on top

Post by Bosnian »

Evening all. This has probably been discussed to death but I can’t seem to cure this problem. The water comes in the flow side the TRV red hot. The problem is that it doesn’t
fully heat the whole rad. Have tried bleeding it and got some air out but still joy. The water at the other end of the rad at the valve is still cold. Should I try to completely drain the rad out or just bleed again. The rad is a double 1200x600 stelrad on a pressurised system. All the rest of the rads
work no problem. Thanks for any advice
Bob225

Re: Cold rad on bottom but hot on top

Post by Bob225 »

stuck valve - open the valve fully and give it a tap, it could be sludged up, Take the rad off and flush it with a hose, when was the system last treated and/or flushed, do you have a magna-clean ?

Are both valves on the bottom of the rad ?

I'm just a diyer :?
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

Sounds like a sludged up Rad, remove flush through, replace. As an aside are your TRV's Bi-directional ? (Is there an arrow on the TRV body ?)
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

As said, your rad is full of sludge, it has to go somewhere, and you have now found it. Clean rad (Outside, not in the house) put it back refill add inhibitor.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Bosnian
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Bosnian »

Thanks for info. Will take off and flush through and see what come out.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Turn it upside down and bang it with a rubber hammer as well. (You will be surprised what comes out)
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
arco_iris

Post by arco_iris »

How old / what make / can we see picture of the TRV? Old style Drayton TRVs have a habit of the pin sticking, and may have been fitted on the flow side, not necessarily with a bi-directional arrow on the valve body.

(((

If the trv head appears to be held on with a clip, like a jubilee clip but with a screw & nut, undo it, wiggle the head off the valve, grip the exposed pin with pliers, work it in and out a couple of times to free it. It only moves a small amount.

Other makes suffer similarly - undo the knurled ring that holds the head to the valve, do the same. I had this issue regularly at a previous property & it was nothing to do with sludge.

)))

Return to “Central Heating & Boilers”