Moderator: Moderators

etaf

angle grinder suggestions

Post by etaf »

Hi, 

I'm thinking of getting a Dewalt Angle Grinder in the next few months
Its just for DIY use , sharpening garden tools , 21" lawnmower blade etc 
cutting bricks / paving slabes etc

I have a couple of 3Ah batteries and may have to buy a bigger battery to run the grinder

i have been looking at 

DEWALT DCG414B 
and
Dewalt DCG405FN, as it has a better angle range

not a priority for me right now - but on my list 
any other suggestions - I am invested in the dewalt cordless system - as i have 6 other cordless 18v tools 
planer, jig saw, circular saw, mutli-tool, combi drill, impact driver, 

I have the corded DW625 router , so thats not on a future list 
I also have STIHL tools for garden, so no intention of buying into dewalt chainsaw, strimmer , hedge trimmer etc 

it maybe that this is not a good investment for what i want to use for - so any advice on that would be welcome

thanks in advance for any suggestions
Someone-Else

Re: angle grinder suggestions

Post by Someone-Else »

I have a 10cm angle grinder, only use it about twice a year so went to screwfix and got This
Ok its mains, but for the number of times I use it, and it never has a flat battery (doesn't have one) it must be 6/7 years old and still works. I guess it depends how often you will use it as to if it will be suitable for you, but this one does what it says on the tin for me.

(Thinking about it, mine must be even older as its not quite the same model as the one in the link, but it is elcheapo titan)
These users thanked the author Someone-Else for the post:
etaf
Rating: 7.14%
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
etaf

Post by etaf »

probably the same as you 2 - 3 times a year, so perhaps a much more sensible choice -
I have had a few titan products from screwfix , hedge trimmer and wall paper striper and they both went back
perhaps i was just unlucky
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

I did have a titan wall paper stripepr.........not for long, and my Black and Decker one lasted a bit longer, gave up and hired a big one, so I don't blame titan, I blame the fact small steam wall paper strippers are all rubbish.
These users thanked the author Someone-Else for the post:
etaf
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Fifteen years ago I bought an £18 one from somewhere, it might have been a market stall, as I had a padlock to cut off. I have used it off and on over the years and it is still going strong. For occasional use a chuckaway is perfectly adequate.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
etaf
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

:withstupid:
I've got one that was on offer somewhere at under £10 IIRC about the same time ago.
It's been great. Done a fair bit of work, but no real heavy use. Still going strong.
These users thanked the author Dave54 for the post:
etaf
sammy.se

Post by sammy.se »

If you want cordless the parkside (lidl) is excellent value for money.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author sammy.se for the post:
etaf
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

If you will only use it rarely, get corded and go cheap. I sold my Dewalt and bought a Parkside variable speed, so much better and will last me a lifetime for the small amount of use I have for an angle grinder.
These users thanked the author Rorschach for the post:
etaf
Ktuludays

Post by Ktuludays »

I have an erbauer 9 inch grinder. Works well with decent cutting discs. I like that the handle can rotate 90 degrees too.
These users thanked the author Ktuludays for the post:
etaf
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.
arco_iris

Post by arco_iris »

Similar to OP's story on this and his other thread about battery logos, I took the Makita route for grinder, combi drill, circular saw, vacuum, hedge trimmer, strimmer, and 36v (2 batts) lawnmower & chainsaw.

I use my angle grinder a fair bit, now and then, weeks apart, for cutting up metal to be scrapped, trimming corrugated sheet, cutting tiles, blocks & bricks, sometimes grinding stone. I have three 3Ah batteries to cover all my tools, after all I can only use one at a time. (And 2 x 5Ah reserved for the 36v kit).

Whilst the angler grinder *can* get through a 3Ah battery in 10-15 minutes of cutting up a caravan chassis, it really doesn't bother me, as firstly I fit the next battery, secondly they only take 20 minutes to charge, and thirdly, I stop for numerous coffee breaks.

Prior to retiring, I had a Duratool corded angle grinder that cost me £11.74 from CPC and lasted nearly 20 years of half a dozen blade sharpening jobs a year, when the brushes went I binned it rather than fit new ones (which I could have done, it came with spares) because I suspected the bearings were by now shot & anyway I wanted the cordless kit.
These users thanked the author arco_iris for the post:
etaf
Cannyfixit

Post by Cannyfixit »

For occasional use Argos do one for £20 with a 2 year warranty
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4829775 ... gLhqfD_BwE
These users thanked the author Cannyfixit for the post:
etaf
If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/#/ple ... 4529684719
etaf

Post by etaf »

Thanks every one , i guess i need to know decide - not urgent so i may wait for some deals to come in or if any deals at the FFX show in March
I have purchased quite a few parkside bits from Lidl when they are have the tools in the isle
I find there quick release clamps to be excellent , I bought at the time 2 sets small/medium pair and large pair , which came to about £13 the lot. Used extensively when putting up a fence and making a window box, so when they came back in i purchased 2 more sets , as during the work, i was using my older screw type clamps.
and various other small tool.

Return to “Tool Talk”