Existing ceiling rose concealed in new light fitting

All electrical lighting questions in here please. Including outside lighting and light switch / dimmer questions.

Moderator: Moderators

Marky Hud
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Existing ceiling rose concealed in new light fitting

Post by Marky Hud »

Im replacing old pendant light fitting with metal light fitting in a bedroom. I’ve been researching lighting circuits and various fittings. I had planned on using wago connectors and removing the plastic rose. However I’ve looked today and I can mount the new bracket alongside the existing ceiling rose. The new fitting is of a much larger diameter and the rose will fit inside the void so I can leave it in place fixed to the ceiling and just wire the new flex to the new fitting in the same way the pendant was wired. I just wanted to check this was acceptable practice
arco_iris

Re: Existing ceiling rose concealed in new light fitting

Post by arco_iris »

That's fine - but make sure that you know which way the joist runs so that you get a firm fix for the bracket!
These users thanked the author arco_iris for the post:
Marky Hud
Rating: 7.14%
Marky Hud
Newly registered Member

Post by Marky Hud »

So here is the fitting and just to confirm it's ok to leave the rose in this space yes?
inside light fitting.jpg
inside light fitting.jpg (181.07 KiB) Viewed 1575 times
light fitting.jpg
light fitting.jpg (221.3 KiB) Viewed 1575 times
arco_iris

Post by arco_iris »

"The Range" huh? :roll:

1. To reiterate, ensure that you are able to align the fixing bar with a joist, to get a solid fix. As the chances are that your existing rose is already screwed to it, it may be in the way. You may be able to slacken the rose's fixing screws and slide the new bracket behind it - however,

2. If the position of the rose turns out to be ok, which I doubt, do you in fact have sufficient depth of the ceiling plate to go over the rose? You may need to remove the screw-on cover (that the pendant cable comes out of), just leaving the baseplate. This is going to be covered over and therefore not visible, anyway.

3. With the 6A trip(s) for the lighting circuits 'off', you may be just as well using wago connectors (other makes are available), or a chocblock, and the original pendant cable to join the wires coming out of the ceiling* to the terminal block (marked L N) on the new fitting.

*if the ceiling rose has more than three wires, and you do not understand the implications, come back here for further advice.
Marky Hud
Newly registered Member

Post by Marky Hud »

Thanks very much for that. Points taken and it all makes sense.

Return to “Lighting”