Installing a Hive on a oil worcester heatslave 20/25 boiler

Questions about central heating and boiler questions in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

teri
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by teri »

Hello,
Please, could someone tell me if a HIVE thermostat will work on a Worcester heatslave 20/25 boiler and if possible help me with the wiring ?

My current configuration attached.

thank you in advance.
Attachments
IMG_20190113_095656.jpg
IMG_20190113_095656.jpg (314.14 KiB) Viewed 3227 times
IMG_20190113_095623.jpg
IMG_20190113_095623.jpg (473.99 KiB) Viewed 3227 times
MontyMcMoo
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by MontyMcMoo »

Hi,
Did you ever get this to work, I've just bought a property with one of these fitted and wanted to get a Hive installed as well.
ericmark

Post by ericmark »

Since it shows a link line to 3 it would seem DHW was always on? reading this instructions so I would have been looking at why.

But since the old programmer and Hive twin channel both have same connections it might simply plug in, you would then have to turn old room thermostat to max, but it should work.

I did not like Hive, however with the introduction of the Hive TRV head, it is now far better, the Worcester heatslave 20/25 boiler is an oil boiler so there is no point using an OpenTherm thermostat, with a gas boiler however there is some debate.

Tado, EvoHome and Nest all have OpenTherm which means they can turn boiler up/down so it removes the hysteresis associated with off/on control, however once the boiler reaches minimum output then it still has to cycle off/on.

So without any TRV heads linked to Hive it is rather poor, but with the Hive TRV heads the Hive wall thermostat works as heat on demand so will rarely turn off, allowing boiler to use return water to modulate it, as to if with all Hive TRV heads in the house it is as good as Tado or EvoHome I don't know, but it is likely better than Nest, so with linked TVR's Hive is better than Nest, without linked TRV's Nest is better than Hive. Or is it?

Whole idea of the new control system is every room is only heated when required, but you can do that for £10 a room, it does not need Hive, Nest or any other wall thermostat, what the wall thermostat does is turn off the heating in the summer, that's its main job, in winter the TRV controls the room temperatures. So with Hive even if programmed off, the TRV head with heat on demand will still turn on the central heating.

It is not only Hive, I have Nest and when first fitted it was switching on the boiler when not set, found it was the anti legionnaires feature for the domestic hot water, not a bad thing, but whole idea was to run boiler less not more.

Return to “Central Heating & Boilers”