Fixing battons to floor joists

Wood working questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

PedC
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Fixing battons to floor joists

Post by PedC »

Hello all. Joined this forum as a long time observer. Thought it was about time as got many a useful tip!

I’ve recently been patching some floorboards in our bedroom as they creaked like hell and we’re chopped up worse than Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Anyway, after putting the new boards down, I wanted to give the new boards some extra surface to join to as the way some of the existing boards had been cut didn’t Alli much room on the width of the joist for the new board.

I’ve fixed some 44mm x 44mm baton with a 4mm screw to the side of the joist running parallel with it in places where it’s needed.

Anything wrong with this? I’ve only done one of the bedrooms so far and others are going to need the same treatment so thought I’d better check!

TIA.
Ktuludays

Re: Fixing battons to floor joists

Post by Ktuludays »

Nope, perfectly acceptable to do
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

:welcomeuhm:
:withstupid:
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
PedC
Newly registered Member

Post by PedC »

Awesome, thanks for the reply.

I’ve been trying to fix the battons between 200/300mm centres. Is that about right?

Also where I’ve replaced a long length of floor board I’ve put fixings in the batton and joist that it attaches to, nothing wrong with that is there?

The main thing I was a bit nervous about was weakening the joists as there will obviously be some leverage applied by the batton fixings. The joists are a combination or 44mm wide and about 70ish mm.

It’s certainly made the floor feel more solid and creaks a whole lot less!
Ktuludays

Post by Ktuludays »

There's nothing wrong with what you've done.

It's all good
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.
PedC
Newly registered Member

Post by PedC »

Ktuludays wrote:There's nothing wrong with what you've done.

It's all good
Thanks, much appreciated!!
PedC
Newly registered Member

Post by PedC »

Another question if you please following on from my original post. I just wanted to check it was safe to use screws to fix the new boards down above where the joists have been drilled for cables.

It looks like some of the existing boards have been fixed using nails above where the joist has been drilled.

Presumably I’m ok using the existing nail holes and in a slightly wider and shorter screw so it grips?

My OCD has gone into over drive seeing all the joists chopped up near notching for pipes and hole cut outs for cables. sh*t myself even putting the small screws in around these bits of the joists.

I’m going to have a lie down!
Ktuludays

Post by Ktuludays »

Yes, I always refix using screws. So much easier for future access. Make sure you're free of any pipes and cables.

If floorboards are going to be covered it's always good practice to mark any pipe and cable runs on them to help future maintenance.
PedC
Newly registered Member

Post by PedC »

Thanks chief!
These users thanked the author PedC for the post:
Ktuludays
Rating: 7.14%

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”