Step 'Repair'

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

sharkfat78
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Step 'Repair'

Post by sharkfat78 »

Hey guys, new to the forum and backwards when it comes to DIY so figured I'd sign up and find out how to do things the right way before I have a go (if I think I can do it) Apologies in advance for any stupid questions.

My mid terraced house was built by the Stevie Wonder Building Co. in 1898 and the step that my front door sits on is quite worn and could ideally do with being renovated. Is this something that can be done and if so with what and how?

Attachments
IMAG0928.jpg
IMAG0928.jpg (727.18 KiB) Viewed 1815 times
ayjay

Re: Step 'Repair'

Post by ayjay »

These users thanked the author ayjay for the post:
sharkfat78
Rating: 7.14%
One day it will all be firewood.
sharkfat78
Newly registered Member

Post by sharkfat78 »

Awesome, thanks ayjay!

So will I need to make some kind of frame/mould to hold it in place, or do I just apply it carefully and build it up in layers so to speak?
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Probably best to make-up a timber form - basically a level bit of timber temporarily fixed to the front of the step top hold back the mortar. Before installation this is coated (where it will contact the mortar) with a form release agent which is basically a very thin layer of wax applied then buffed off and maybe a quick wipe-over with vegetable oil. Once the mortar has set the form can be removed. You may need to fill a few voids in the front of the step afterwards
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
sharkfat78
Newly registered Member

Post by sharkfat78 »

Top stuff, thanks guys :)
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Seen this sort of thing done with indents which is in effect a stone splice although that's probably a bit over the top for this case. If you are going down the epoxy repair I'd suggest putting a few stainless screw into the step with their heads sticking out into the area that the repair will be . Mechaniiical fixing as opposed to just adhesion because the front edge is going to take a fair bit of punishment from feet or pushchairs or whatever.
These users thanked the author Grendel for the post:
Job and Knock
Rating: 7.14%
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

:withstupid:

Good call. Forgot about that :oops:
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

Grendel wrote: because the front edge is going to take a fair bit of punishment from feet or pushchairs or whatever.
I'd be inclined to bring the front edge forwards by about 20mm (if possible) to make it a more solid construct at that point. Good call on the protruding screwheads.
One day it will all be firewood.

Return to “General DIY forum”