Broken kitchen granite worktop

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

alex_m
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Broken kitchen granite worktop

Post by alex_m »

Hello,

I'm new to the forum so sorry if this is the wrong place for this topic, I wasn't sure where it would fit.

I'm not sure how fixable this will be but I've cracked my kitchen worktop in three places when I leant on it. My thoughts are to place some wood between the oven and the worktop and then just try and glue this back together. The cracks will still be visible but hopefully it will be secure.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Attachments
IMG-20190111-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20190111-WA0007.jpg (131.34 KiB) Viewed 3006 times
IMG-20190111-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20190111-WA0005.jpg (130.99 KiB) Viewed 3006 times
IMG-20190111-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20190111-WA0003.jpg (133.77 KiB) Viewed 3006 times
IMG_20190111_094225.jpg
IMG_20190111_094225.jpg (244.47 KiB) Viewed 3006 times
IMG_20190111_094221.jpg
IMG_20190111_094221.jpg (267.43 KiB) Viewed 3006 times
IMG_20190111_094218.jpg
IMG_20190111_094218.jpg (246.49 KiB) Viewed 3006 times
dewaltdisney

Re: Broken kitchen granite worktop

Post by dewaltdisney »

These types of cracks are usually fixed with a tinted to match epoxy resin. I do not think it is a DIY job as you need an expert eye to work out why it cracked and repair it properly. It looks like a weak point where the hob cut out is. Have you checked with your building insurers, they may have a contractor to do this sort of thing?

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
Job and Knock
Rating: 7.14%
alex_m
Newly registered Member

Post by alex_m »

Thanks DWD. Yes there is nothing supporting it and a 2cm gap between the oven and the worktop which explains why I've ended up this state.

Trying to get an expert to for a quote but it's proving harder than I thought. Good idea with building insurance, I'll give them a try as well.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

:welcomeuhm:

I agree with DWD. We see this sort of repair being done on stone bar tops from time to time and they use the same materials to repair as they do to joint in the first place - tinted epoxy resin. Getting the joint to close up nice and tight is one problem. Supporting it so that there wont be a repeat crack is another
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
alex_m
Newly registered Member

Post by alex_m »

I agree with DWD. We see this sort of repair being done on stone bar tops from time to time and they use the same materials to repair as they do to joint in the first place - tinted epoxy resin. Getting the joint to close up nice and tight is one problem. Supporting it so that there wont be a repeat crack is another
Yeah it doesn't look like there has ever been support between the worktop and the oven so there is about a 2cm gap between the two. Do you know if it's normal for that part of the worktop to be unsupported? People I've spoken to have said that it's too broken to be fixed and would require an entire new worktop.

Would supporting the gap with MDF be an option, at least to hold it in place for now?

Thanks for your help.
alex_m
Newly registered Member

Post by alex_m »

Would something like this hold it together do you think?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BXY5WNH/ ... 3743562787
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

Might well work, but you still have to hold it all together whilst the adhesive goes off.

A bit like glueing together ceramics with superglue... it works but you can always see the join...

(Eric and Ernie anyone ??)
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
alex_m
Newly registered Member

Post by alex_m »

Yeah, not sure what I can do about holding it together :scratch:

For £15 I might give it a go though. Don't think I can make it look worse :lol:
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Well, you can have a go at fixing it as if it turns out crap then at least you can look at replacing it with a granite looking conventional worktop and know you tried. I still think it is worth having a chat with your house insurance people (I hope you have one) as I see this as a legitimate claim.

The main issue is the support underneath. You can see the gap under the granite and this needs to be supported to stop any slight flexation causing another crack. The epoxy resin is only a filler really and it will not bond it back into a continuous slab again, it will always be weak.

Have a go at the insurance route :thumbright:

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
Job and Knock
Rating: 7.14%
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

alex_m wrote:Yeah it doesn't look like there has ever been support between the worktop and the oven so there is about a 2cm gap between the two. Do you know if it's normal for that part of the worktop to be unsupported?
I would say not. I've installed the structures to support stone (granite, marble, slate, concrete, etc) bar tops and vanity unit tops loads of times and they are always fully supported either by plywood or by a steel frame (often just a 25 x 25 thin steel tube ladder frame) painted black and tucked away unobtrusively underneath. Never seen an unsupported stone top, presumably because they can break if subjected to too much loading. DWD is right in saying that in addition to the repair you'll need to get some extra support in there

I'm currently designing a new kitchen for my own house and I'm toying with the idea of a concrete or concrete/resin composite worktop. Either way the top will need to be fully supported as my span is going to be about 1200mm (over a washing machine and dryer) at one point. Still trying to work out how I minimise flexing without it looking too obvious

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
alex_m
Newly registered Member

Post by alex_m »

Morning folks,

Thanks for to everyone for their advice. Unfortunately all I got from the insurance company is "isn't something we cover". I've found a company who said they will be able to repair it but the cracks will still be visible. The only option to avoid seeing the cracks would be to replace the entire worktop, which is too expensive an option of me at the moment. I still my get the cracks repaired as it was going to cost ~£200.

For now a piece of MDF is supporting the worktop and the cracks aren't too bad (the big one was already there before I broke it).

If I get the repair done I'll post pictures of the results.
Attachments
IMG_20190119_090826.jpg
IMG_20190119_090826.jpg (298.17 KiB) Viewed 2774 times
IMG_20190119_090831.jpg
IMG_20190119_090831.jpg (230.76 KiB) Viewed 2774 times
IMG_20190119_090834.jpg
IMG_20190119_090834.jpg (285.21 KiB) Viewed 2774 times
IMG_20190119_090838.jpg
IMG_20190119_090838.jpg (250.26 KiB) Viewed 2774 times
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Looking at the position of the three cracks in the worktop, together with the shape of the worktop itself, I have to wonder if the units either side of the oven are actually level with each other. What is for sure is that with so many cracks there isn't really enough support beneath the front edge of that worktop over a 600mm(?) length and that there can't be a great deal of support to the right side of the hob either (because of the triangular shape of the unit). I also have to wonder whether or not something has happened to the worktop to overload it - such as someone climbing up on top of it or a heavy object being dropped onto it.

If the worktop is going to come out I'd seriously consider beefing up the top of the oven carcase with at least a combination of plywood and possibly a softwood batten glued and screwed beneath it (if there is space) as well as a full top on the triangular carcase. Better yet might be to get a steel tube cut to fit across the top of the oven carcase with drilled and countersunk flange plates at each end so that a more rigid support could be provided. Even if replaced I suspect that with that layout there will always be a higher chance of the top breaking again in the future because of the marginal nature of support to the right of the hob cut-out

deanos102
Newly registered Member

Post by deanos102 »

alex_m wrote:Morning folks,

Thanks for to everyone for their advice. Unfortunately all I got from the insurance company is "isn't something we cover". I've found a company who said they will be able to repair it but the cracks will still be visible. The only option to avoid seeing the cracks would be to replace the entire worktop, which is too expensive an option of me at the moment. I still my get the cracks repaired as it was going to cost ~£200.

For now a piece of MDF is supporting the worktop and the cracks aren't too bad (the big one was already there before I broke it).

If I get the repair done I'll post pictures of the results.
are you not covered for accidental damage ?
arco_iris

Post by arco_iris »

This thread is five weeks old and OP has not returned since. Where are the mods?
:dunno:
moderator2
UHM Super Moderator

Post by moderator2 »

arco_iris wrote:This thread is five weeks old and OP has not returned since. Where are the mods?
:dunno:
Busy moderating. FYI the OP has been back several times. Lastly Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:48 pm

Return to “General DIY forum”