Damp around inside of kitchen window

This Forum is for all questions relating to Rising damp, Penetrating Damp, Basement Drainage, Cracked Masonry and Wall tie replacement.

Moderator: Moderators

artillerydave1
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Re: Damp around inside of kitchen window

Post by artillerydave1 »

Completely agree with the above. Inside and outside that process needs to be done as I explained earlier.

That would be the only explanation for the pattern of damp you are getting. Water is coming in from around the window to brickwork sealing.

If you are competent you don't need a man in, it is an easy DIY job.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author artillerydave1 for the post:
danny4g
Rating: 7.14%
damp_problem
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by damp_problem »

Thanks for the comments..

Firstly, the windows have been in for at least 10 years, and purchased by the previous owner. I spotted the issue late last year and took off all the sealant outside and re-sealed it.

Artilliary-Dave are you referring to re-sealing the inner or outer frame? I assumed the outer, which has been done. Unless I have misunderstood and you meant inside I think I have already done your suggestions.

I haven't touched the inner trim pieces because they end in grouting for the splashback and I was reluctant to cause damage. The sealant on the inside is possibly a little perished in places but I had, rightly or wrongly, ruled that out for now because if water was coming out of there onto the inner wall, it shouldn't be there in the first place.

As for looking at the join between window and upper wall from outside, I believe a cable has been wedged in there by the previous owner to feed some outside lights. I couldn't see any traces of sealant so I added sealant all the way across the top.
artillerydave1
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by artillerydave1 »

I think you should reseal the inner and outer with a good quality silicone sealant. Remove all trim pieces, reseal and then add the trims and seal again.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Return to “Damp Proofing and Remedial problems”