Sime Brava HGT 30 - Fan problems

Questions about central heating and boiler questions in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

Jmay
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Sime Brava HGT 30 - Fan problems

Post by Jmay »

Hi,
I have a question to ask, any help/advice/info would be greatly appreciated. I have a 3 year old Sime Brava HGT 30 boiler installed at home. In Feb last year the fan started making a whining noise and after a few days of this the boiler stopped working and the "AL15" (Fan problem) came up. The technician came out and I paid for a new fan since it was no longer in guarantee. So all is good, boiler working again...then in April, 2 months later, same again. Whining noise then fan gives up and boiler stops working. Technician replaces again (no cost obviously)...all is good throughout Summer (when heating isn't running). Then in October last year I turn the heating on again and lo and behold, 2 days later, fan starts whining then craps out . Another free replacement.

Here we are in January and guess what? The fan is whining again. The technician came today and saw it but ...it's a fan, it's making a noise, there's nothing to see. I know it will break in a few days and I'll have no heating or hot wáter until it's replaced. But what could be causing this? Just bad replacement fans? Some sub-component in them that's somehow not compatible with the rest of the boiler? A problem on the circuit board? Aliens?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Someone-Else

Re: Sime Brava HGT 30 - Fan problems

Post by Someone-Else »

I am NOT a heating engineer, but if the fan is making a noise before it fails then I would guess it is the bearings on the fan that fail.
I am guessing it is a combi? in which case the fan will have been running in the summer everytime you turn the hot tap on, the fan starts. (You don't need to know why, just accept that it does)
These users thanked the author Someone-Else for the post:
Jmay
Rating: 7.14%
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Jmay
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sime Brava HGT 30 - Fan problems

Post by Jmay »

Thanks,

Yup, like you say it's a combi. I just don't understand how 4 fans can fail the same way unless they're all defective. The technician doesn't understand either, but just replacing the fan every time it breaks isn't getting us anywhere. It's frustrating... and no one has time to really investigate, the only options seem to be replace parts until it stops breaking...or a new boiler :( .

thanks for taking an interest
Jason

Return to “Central Heating & Boilers”