Hanging heavy internal doors on lightweight paramount walls

Wood working questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

Andrew

Hanging heavy internal doors on lightweight paramount walls

Post by Andrew »

Hi,

Just a question.......

All my internal upstairs walls (1970's house) are paramount board, which I've only recently discovered about. To me these are very lightweight with minimal studding.

At the moment, all the doors are light moulded doors, but I really wanted to get some oak veneer doors which are going to be about 35kg+ each.

I am just wondering whether I have the appropriate walls or not, especially where two sets of two doors will be hanging right next to each other on opposing sides of the same stud wall separating the bedrooms (I realise that probably doesn't make much sense, sorry).

I realise I might be worrying about nothing, but everything has it's limit!

Ta.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Re: Hanging heavy internal doors on lightweight paramount wa

Post by Job and Knock »

For anyone unaware Paramount is something like two layers of 9.5mm plasterboard with cardboard honeycomb in between and is about 57 to 60mm thick overall. For that reason they usually fit lightweight doors. Paramount partition tends to have a thin batten in between the plasterboard from floor to ceiling but often only something like 22m thick, and the door casings are fixed into that. It may be possible to get the door casings out then remove the batten and replace it with a piece of 2in (50mm) softwood either side of a door casing, glued in place and fixed at the bottom into the floor and at the top into the ceiling to provide strength for the heavier doors. A joiners shop or proper timber yard should be able to rip down some 2 x 2 or 3 x 2 PSE or CLS (cheaper) for you to the exact dimensions. BTW there is an undersize CLS sold by some merchants which finishes at 38mm thick and is a near exact fit inside Paramount panels
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Thanks for that!

I assume that means you think that they won't be strong enough as is. I don't know if I can be arsed to retro-fit as suggested bit will mull it over!!

Thanks again mate.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Andrew wrote:I assume that means you think that they won't be strong enough as is.
Yes. The timbers in Paramount walls are generally very thin which is whey they fit ultra lightweight doors and frames. Put heavier doors on without beefing it up and the frames can move which will probably ground the doors (depending on weight)
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

As long as the walls wouldn't move !!!!!!

I think you've persuaded me for lightweight. Will be cheaper as well....

Wickes do some decent looking modern looking lightweight doors. Just have to convince SWMBO.....

Cheers.

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”