Joining Ceiling Cladding

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

TaffyApple
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Joining Ceiling Cladding

Post by TaffyApple »

Hi,

I've just viewed the YouTube Video for the White Ceiling Cladding with the silver strips, which is great and has helped a lot, but problem is, my bathroom is 2700mm long and the cladding length is 2600mm. I want to fit them length ways as not only will it look better but the battens will be fitted across the room.

How would you get around this and is there an easy and nice looking way of joining these ceiling panels, especially just for this small measurement ?

Thanks
moderator2
UHM Super Moderator

Re: Joining Ceiling Cladding

Post by moderator2 »

:welcomeuhm:

I've moved this to General DIY.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

:welcomeuhm:

As there are numerous cladding systems on the market which do you mean? (Mods: I'm deliberately not posting a link) Generally with wall cladding systems, such as whiterock and blackrock (both used extensively in food preparation areas) joints are hidden using an H-profile trim at the joint.
H-Profile Trim 001_1.jpg
H-Profile Trim 001_1.jpg (7.59 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
AFAIK ceiling systems are much the same. It's that simple. Does the manufacturer you are considering not offer that type of trim?
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
TaffyApple
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by TaffyApple »

The ones that i was looking at were from National Plastics as they seemed a good deal at £20 per pack, but they only supply them in 2600mm length.

They don't seem to sell any accessories etc but I have emailed them and will have to give them a call on Monday.

The other thing I was concerned about it the size of these 'H' bars and would it look out of place as they will only be approx 100mm from the end, it just might look rubbish though.

Thanks
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

TaffyApple wrote:The other thing I was concerned about it the size of these 'H' bars and would it look out of place as they will only be approx 100mm from the end, it just might look rubbish though.
The H-bars are generally something like 20 to 30mm wide (sorry, but I really cannot remember off the top of my head exactly how big they are - only that the joint allowance is minimum 5mm on the stuff I've used). TBH I think I'd go with a firm that offers the full range of accessories if your preferred supplier doesn't carry/supply H-bars if only because that should give you H-bar which fits the material you use. As far as looks go, because you will have to use something like an H-bar solution, why not consider cutting the 2600mm down to, say, 2400mm, having an H-bar joint at each end and having two matching short (200mm) sections at each end?
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933

Return to “General DIY forum”