Vpn

All your computer hardware and software questions in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

mole81

Vpn

Post by mole81 »

I'm looking for a free (if possible) unrestricted vpn solution to use on ios. Any recommendations or what do you use?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
kellys_eye

Re: Vpn

Post by kellys_eye »

Free? Unrestricted? Impossible.

Not even charities would offer something so 'unlimited'. If you need the service(s) you have to be prepared to pay for them.
Don't take it personally......
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Plenty of free VPN's but they are either ad laden or painfully slow. You will need to pay for something even remotely useful. That being said you can get a decent service for just a few £'s per month.
mole81

Post by mole81 »

Thought too big an ask! Any recommendations?

ayjay

Post by ayjay »

I'm not exactly sure what VPN is, but my (free) Avast Antivirus offers "Secure Line VPN".

When I want to browse privately I use the *Pale Moon* browser and the private browsing option , most browsers have a private browsing option, I just like to keep the private stuff completely separate from my usual browser.
One day it will all be firewood.
yartin

Post by yartin »

ayjay wrote:I'm not exactly sure what VPN is, but my (free) Avast Antivirus offers "Secure Line VPN".

When I want to browse privately I use the *Pale Moon* browser and the private browsing option , most browsers have a private browsing option, I just like to keep the private stuff completely separate from my usual browser.
VPN is a protocol which make your location somewhere else in the world. Every internet user has a unique address assigned by the provider which could be BT, Sky...etc. The address assigned by these providers is called "ip" address, internet protocol address. The vpn will change your ip address to a different address and at a different location in the world. You could be in Sheffield browsing the web with a specific ip address but vpn will change the ip address and you location to France.
Some vpns are free and some you pay for. How reliable are they? I have no idea. I have read some vpns would leak your ip (whatever it means) which means it's useless.
Most if not all vpns slows down your broadband by more than half.
For safe online browsing and banking ... etc you need Norton or Mcafee or similar.

I think your pale moon is private browsing on your computer only, I think it will not save history of what you have been browsing to hide from other users of the same computer.
These users thanked the author yartin for the post:
ayjay
Rating: 7.14%
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

there are plenty about offering deals

eg. (2 of the bigger ones)

https://nordvpn.com/

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

yartin wrote:
ayjay wrote:I'm not exactly sure what VPN is, but my (free) Avast Antivirus offers "Secure Line VPN".

VPN is a protocol which make your location somewhere else in the world. Every internet user has a unique address assigned by the provider which could be BT, Sky...etc. The address assigned by these providers is called "ip" address, internet protocol address. The vpn will change your ip address to a different address and at a different location in the world. You could be in Sheffield browsing the web with a specific ip address but vpn will change the ip address and you location to France.
Some vpns are free and some you pay for. How reliable are they? I have no idea. I have read some vpns would leak your ip (whatever it means) which means it's useless.
Most if not all vpns slows down your broadband by more than half.
For safe online browsing and banking ... etc you need Norton or Mcafee or similar.

I think your pale moon is private browsing on your computer only, I think it will not save history of what you have been browsing to hide from other users of the same computer.

not quite right, VPN is a virtual private network, your services are routed through a private server (dns and dhcp) the only leaky ones are free public servers aka proxies, speed wise a paid service will have a minor impact but that is dependent on the server routing (how many hops your address has to make)
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

mole81 wrote:Thought too big an ask! Any recommendations?

I use private internet access, it works well, never failed to connect and I can choose "my location" easily. I pay $39.95 a year, which works out to approx £2.50 a month. I think I get 5 devices for that, so I can run it on a couple of my computers and the missus can use it on hers too. Mobile option as well but I have never had any need for that.

Throughput is about 50% of my non-vpn internet speed which is plenty good enough for me.

EDIT: Just tested. No VPN I got 78mbps, with the VPN I got 55mbps. If using that to download/stream then I can expect anything up to about 4MB/s which is plenty fast enough.
yartin

Post by yartin »

What is the use of VPN? And to hide ip address?

All online security needed are provided by the like of Norton, Mcafee, AVG, Malwarebyte.... few to mention.
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

Digibit is the one I have and I'm satisfied with it. It costs £2pm.
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

yartin wrote:What is the use of VPN? And to hide ip address?

All online security needed are provided by the like of Norton, Mcafee, AVG, Malwarebyte.... few to mention.
VPN Is a secure encrypted connection to the server where server does all the requests making your connection untraceable

Anti-virus is just that it, protects your device from viruses and malicious programming eg. malware, browser hijacks and root kits

Your ip is still traceable back to your computer even in private browser sessions
yartin

Post by yartin »

Bob225 wrote:

VPN Is a secure encrypted connection to the server where server does all the requests making your connection untraceable

Anti-virus is just that it, protects your device from viruses and malicious programming eg. malware, browser hijacks and root kits

Your ip is still traceable back to your computer even in private browser sessions
I know all that but why someone wants to be untraceable? To hide something?

It's like giving someone the wrong email or home address so he can't contact or doesn't know where I live.

No on line bank will ask to have VPN but will ask to have internet security.
mole81

Post by mole81 »

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

yartin wrote:
Bob225 wrote:

I know all that but why someone wants to be untraceable? To hide something?

It's like giving someone the wrong email or home address so he can't contact or doesn't know where I live.

No on line bank will ask to have VPN but will ask to have internet security.
If you are asking that then you don't need one :lol:

Return to “Computers”