plumbing, drainage and waste water questions here please

Moderator: Moderators

HURDLING
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Toilet sink smell help!

Post by HURDLING »

Please can someone help I have an unpleasant almost stale water smell and also sometimes a sulphur smell coming from our downstairs toilet sink. The drains have been checked and are not blocked and have been cleaned. I have tried the hot water, bicarbonate soda and all bleaches etc with no avail. Can you look at the attached photos and advise that would be appreciated. Thanks
Attachments
DSC_0105-768x1024.JPG
DSC_0105-768x1024.JPG (101.1 KiB) Viewed 2154 times
DSC_0106-768x1024.JPG
DSC_0106-768x1024.JPG (87.05 KiB) Viewed 2154 times
Geordieric
Newly registered Member

Re: Toilet sink smell help!

Post by Geordieric »

Unscrew the bottom of the trap.
Check no cotton buds, hair etc is stuck under the plug hole etc.

Could be the water being sucked out of the trap allowing pipe smells to blow thru?
My old house it happened on a windy day to the downstairs loo
HURDLING
Newly registered Member

Post by HURDLING »

The trap has been cleaned thoroughly. Any suggestions does the plumbing work look right?
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

You say the trap has been cleaned (I don't doubt you) but is there any water in it?
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
sammy.se

Post by sammy.se »

I have heard that vertical waste pipes can cause a vacuum because the water moves down very fast, and this causes either the water in the trap (which should block smell coming back up) to be sucked away.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
London mike 61

Post by London mike 61 »

I’m not a plumber but I don’t think you would get many problems if you had this type of waste trap ;

https://goo.gl/images/h5TbZt

The one that is in your picture looks like there is no water in the trap to stop smells coming from the waste water outlet.

Mike
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

As others have said, check for a dry trap. Even if the trap looks like it has water in it, it might not be totally blocking the sewer gases. Can you feel a breeze coming from the drain? Use a smoke stick to check for moving air if needed.
HURDLING
Newly registered Member

Post by HURDLING »

The trap only has a little bit of water in it. What would you suggest any links to parts etc would be appreciated. Regards
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

First thing if the basin is only used occasionally then the water in the trap could be evaporating, solution ? run a tap for 10 seconds every other day.

If it is used regularly then it could be that the loo when flushed creates a syphon in the waste pipe, solution fit an anti-syphon bottle trap.

One other possibility is the waste itself, it should be the slotted type for a basin with integral overflow, possibly a non-slotted waste has been used or the slot is not aligned with the overflow channel.

As a complete aside, soda crystals are not used for getting rid of smells or clearing blocked wastes/traps.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
HURDLING
Newly registered Member

Post by HURDLING »

Thanks for the advice all, I will try what's recommended. Any further advice will also be welcomed.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

The way a bottle trap works is that there is a central tube that drains from the sink into the bottle and as the water level rises (on draining the sink) the bottle fills up and spills out into the waste pipe. As the basin empties, the water level drops below the waste outlet and a air trap is formed by the water still covering the basin discharge pipe into the bottle therefore stopping smells.

Now my thought are that for some reason the pipe into the bottle might not be long enough to form the air trap so check that out as a possible cause. There might be a suction issue where the water level in the bottle is being sucked out too much on discharge leaving an insufficient water in the bottle to form the seal. Check the run to the drain as it might need a durso valve fitted to cure this.

DWD

Return to “Plumbing Forum”