Penetrating damp and black mould on outer wall issue

This Forum is for all questions relating to Rising damp, Penetrating Damp, Basement Drainage, Cracked Masonry and Wall tie replacement.

Moderator: Moderators

mahoak

Penetrating damp and black mould on outer wall issue

Post by mahoak »

Our house is brick built in 1953 and rendered. I have noticed that in the kitchen above the window and in the corner above the back door there are two substanital patches which are very damp and with a layer of black mould on them. I have attached a picture of the damage. One of my worries is that there is a steel beam resting next to the worst affected area in the top left of the first picture and I'm not sure if this might cause any damage? Any recommendations with regards to what I can do to fix the damp issue at least on a temporary basis please? I assume that once I have fixed the damp issue I can scrape the plaster on and around the infected area in order to get rid of the black mould and then replatser? The walls on the inside have the proper plaster on them (as opposed to the current method of glueing plasterboards on).

decdec22
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Re: Penetrating damp and black mould on outer wall issue

Post by decdec22 »

mahoak wrote:Our house is brick built in 1953 and rendered. I have noticed that in the kitchen above the window and in the corner above the back door there are two substanital patches which are very damp and with a layer of black mould on them. I have attached a picture of the damage. One of my worries is that there is a steel beam resting next to the worst affected area in the top left of the first picture and I'm not sure if this might cause any damage? Any recommendations with regards to what I can do to fix the damp issue at least on a temporary basis please? I assume that once I have fixed the damp issue I can scrape the plaster on and around the infected area in order to get rid of the black mould and then replatser? The walls on the inside have the proper plaster on them (as opposed to the current method of glueing plasterboards on).
Can you remove to plasterboard to see if there is a source of damp air coming in? That might be the source?

I have a theory that the steel beam might be causing dampness.
These users thanked the author decdec22 for the post:
mahoak
Rating: 7.14%
mahoak

Re: Penetrating damp and black mould on outer wall issue

Post by mahoak »

They are not plaster boarded but plastered in the old style. I doubt the steel beam is causing it because we have lived here for 7 years and this is the second year that this happens (and mainly in winter when the rain starts). Plus, the patch in the corner is nowhere near the steel beam. I am thinking of scraping the top layer of plaster in order to remove the mould and then I have got some Zinsser bulls eye 123 primer and some Zinsser Perma white mildew proof paint to go over the area. I'm hoping that would at least sort out the mould temporarily until I manage to get to the cause of the damp.

Return to “Damp Proofing and Remedial problems”