Wood working questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

Dennyjo8
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Staircase overhang

Post by Dennyjo8 »

I had a stud wall built to block up an open staircase, but they left an 'overhang' at the bottom so the last bit of the stairs sticks out (long story why!) Can I saw this off to make the wall flush or is it holding up the rest of the staircase?? I tried to upload a photo but it wouldn't let me so any advice on how to get the right pixel size greatly appreciated as think this would help explain the ask!
ayjay

Re: Staircase overhang

Post by ayjay »

One day it will all be firewood.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

This "overhang" sounds like it could be the bottom step which is protruding from the studded wall. If that is the case then the simple answer is no you can't just saw it off. You'd probably be cutting off the base of the strings which are the strength of a set of stairs . Even if the strings are fixed to the walls and those fixings would be able to hold the weight ( not impossible) you'd still be left with a stairs that is missing it's bottom tread or step .
Perhaps it's just the string that goes past the studded wall and the tread finishes more or less flush with the wall? In that case it may be possible to cut it off or even fit an additional , if largely decorative, post either part or full height to the ceiling.
Picture needed for better guesses.
Dennyjo8
Newly registered Member

Post by Dennyjo8 »

Thanks so much for responses, I think I've manged to add a photo to give a better picture. Does this make any difference?
Attachments
20181229_101403.jpg
20181229_101403.jpg (680.69 KiB) Viewed 2299 times
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

Do you live in Denny Stirlingshire?
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

They really should have extended the wall to hide that.
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

It can be cut, but I'd advise leaving 50mm in front of the bottom riser. Also think of when you run skirting around the wall and how that is going to fit in with the remainder of the string, (you may need to make a horizontal cut across the remaining piece).
Dennyjo8
Newly registered Member

Post by Dennyjo8 »

Thanks Ajay, can I just check, when you say 50 mm in front of bottom riser do you mean where I've indicated with the red arrow? So make it as flush as possible but it might stick out a bit (so your point about the skirting board?) Wasn't sure what you meant about horizontal cut? Thanks, D
Attachments
20181230_114244.jpg
20181230_114244.jpg (721.44 KiB) Viewed 2256 times
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

You arrow is pointing to roughly the line of the bottom riser (were it to be extended upwards), ideally you need to leave 50mm of the string in front of the riser. The riser is rebated into the string, if you cut it flush with the front there's nothing to hold it in, a few mm either way won't hurt, but normally I'd not cut them less than 50mm, probably 30mm as an absolute minimum, (which looks like it might just fit well with the skirting).

Re the horizontal cut: If the top of the string is then higher than the skirting where they meet you might want to cut the top of the string so that it's flush with the top of the skirting, (just a matter of personal preference).
Dennyjo8
Newly registered Member

Post by Dennyjo8 »

That is really clear, thanks so much for your advice Ajay :salute:

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”