Cutting 3mm aluminium channel

Metalworking questions in this section please

Moderator: Moderators

Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Re: Cutting 3mm aluminium channel

Post by Job and Knock »

Alloy ally wrote:It reminds me of magnesium.
Fortunately aluminium doesn't oxide (burn) anywhere near as easily as magnesium, and fires can be quenched with water (try that with magnesium and it'll make things worse). Mix aluminium dust with iron oxide dust, though and you have the beginnings of thermite, a highly combustible material used in some explosives and for welding railway lines in-situ. Aluminium dust, like any other metal dust, is harmful - which is why industrial set-ups for cutting and grinding metals all have to have extraction on them these days (I think I mentioned extraction earlier on). If you are sawing, though, as opposed to sanding, grinding or polishing the particle size won't often be small enough to become airborne - still best to wear eye protection and consider a mask, though, if processing in volume.
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
Alloy ally
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cutting 3mm aluminium channel

Post by Alloy ally »

It was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment but yep, take your point.

YouTube suggested one or two interesting videos based on previous searches, this first one really illustrates the problem with some blades even straight out the box. Incidentally, although the blade is 355mm its very similar to the stock one fitted to my Rage 3 - I hope he unplugged the machine during maintenance.

..remember the orange peg problem, not an issue if mounted to a stand - see 1.35minutes in where the table is rotated to any point - is this an oversight by the manufacturer ?

Return to “Metalworking Forum”