plumbing, drainage and waste water questions here please

Moderator: Moderators

Bethwoodywood
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bath without feet

Post by Bethwoodywood »

Hi there, we are moving into our new house which is very exciting but it’s all taken ages so typically we’re doing at the easy time of me being 8 months preggo and having a 3 year old. The house is like an old lady time warp and the bathroom has carpet and a bath with a chair lift. Tbh it’s all a bit gross. We have no money so we are hoping we might be able to take out the carpet and bath and fit another one and of course try and do it before the baby arrives. Ah stress! I’ve seen a second hand bath for sale and it’s looks really nice - double ended and freestanding acrylic but has no taps attached and I think no feet. It has nob bits that screw up and down which I guess is so you can make the bath level. It’s £50 though! Is it a terrible idea to buy it? Is it possible to get feet that fit any bath? How hard is it to fit a freestanding bath and a floor and how long would it take quite particular (but novice) man to do?
Thanks for any help we would really appreciate any thoughts!!
Attachments
663C7ED6-5678-4474-AC5A-316134AA5E96.jpeg
663C7ED6-5678-4474-AC5A-316134AA5E96.jpeg (238.9 KiB) Viewed 1692 times
C01ABEE5-91BC-4E3E-8D0A-2637ED98C8FA.jpeg
C01ABEE5-91BC-4E3E-8D0A-2637ED98C8FA.jpeg (96.46 KiB) Viewed 1693 times
dewaltdisney

Re: Bath without feet

Post by dewaltdisney »

Firstly May I point out that a bath with the taps to the wall side is a disaster waiting to happen. Any leaks and the bath has to come out. A second hand bath is a false economy in many respects especially a plastic one. For £120 you can get a steel bath with feet see https://www.bathdisc.co.uk/kaldewei-eur ... feet-white and this should be easier to fit.

Do not take apparent cheap ways to do important stuff, you will only have to do it again in the future.

Good luck

DWD
Bethwoodywood
Newly registered Member

Post by Bethwoodywood »

Many thanks for your comments DWD and will take note. This a freestanding bath so won’t be against a wall.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Okay, looking at your pictures again is that an adjustable foot? It looks like a nylon screw foot? As for fitting, think about the weight, water and a person adds up to a lot of weight on four points. The best way is to distribute these loads into a board under the feet like some 18mm ply cut to suit sitting on top of the existing floorboards. The feet could be let into four shallow holes to stop lateral movement when installed. I think I would also want a retaining plate to hold at least a couple of thee feet down as well.

Cut suitable holes for the waste outlet and hot and cold feeds. With a freestanding bath you should be able to fit the taps okay with some flexible fittings and pushfit which will help teh amateur. :thumbright:

DWD
Bethwoodywood
Newly registered Member

Post by Bethwoodywood »

Thank you DWD for your help. We have had more info from
Seller now and it was a roll top but was built in. We’re thinking of putting it on some sleepers to distribute the weight and have something to put the legs into.
Thanks again for the help!

Return to “Plumbing Forum”