brush instead of roller for ceilings and walls

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

trogg

brush instead of roller for ceilings and walls

Post by trogg »

Hi, yet another question for you.

Today I had a little bit of ceiling to paint so I just used a brush, looked good and was very quick, so, I'm thinking of trying a emulsion brush.
Anyone still use them ? Recommend a brush ? Screwfix have a Harris trade but it has bad reviews.
Duck_Tape

Re: brush instead of roller for ceilings and walls

Post by Duck_Tape »

Hi Trogg
I am not trades just DIY so there may be better answers out there, but just to ask how much ceiling are you proposing to paint with a brush? A small area is fine (1m by 1m) you wouldn’t need to move a ladder but a whole ceiling even in a small bedroom could be slow and painful on the arm. Even a mini roller wold take time and I would favour a mini roller over a brush most times on a ceiling, and a big roller most of the time. (the main painted area, not the cutting in) If a small or large roller is ripping off bits of ceilings old decorative finish and then redepositing then back on the ceiling as the roller rolls, then more prep work is needed on the ceiling. Goggles and a quality PP3 mask are a good idea if you need to scrape/ sand/ or otherwise remove old paint or other finishes

Regards
DuckTape
I love hard work, I could watch it all day
trogg

Post by trogg »

Thank you Duck_Tape,

I've got all the equipment including 9" rollers, however I was surprised how quick I painted with a small paintbrush ( 40mm Purdy brush) and I thought it might be worth a try with a larger brush.... I've got a whole house to decorate , the walls will be half paint and half wallpaper.
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

A single coat freshen up is ok with a brush on a small ceiling, it's all I use when I do bathrooms or small bedrooms. Any bigger than that though and it's definitely a roller.
These users thanked the author Rorschach for the post:
toolbox
Rating: 7.14%
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

Rorschach wrote:A single coat freshen up is ok with a brush on a small ceiling, it's all I use when I do bathrooms or small bedrooms. Any bigger than that though and it's definitely a roller.
Yes fine for bathrooms etc I still have some old whitewash brushes from my father in law great but b****y hard on the wrist!
Desmondo15

Post by Desmondo15 »

A loaded roller will wiz all over a brush on walls and ceilings.
Tom d'Angler

Post by Tom d'Angler »

If the ceilings are flat then you are likely to end up with loads of brush marks. If the ceilings are textured then you won't get brush marks but it will be very hard work. Even a small ceiling will look better if rollered, especially if you use the correct roller sleeve, a pole, and lay it off properly as you go.

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”