Rising Water

This Forum is for all questions relating to Rising damp, Penetrating Damp, Basement Drainage, Cracked Masonry and Wall tie replacement.

Moderator: Moderators

Mark-J

Rising Water

Post by Mark-J »

Hoping someone might be able to help me.

My shed's concrete floor has damp coming up from the ground below. Actually, I don't think it's damp, not in the standard sense. I think it's moisture due to rainfall. The footings have DPC going all around but I've been told that DPC stops water vertically not horizontally. Apparently, the water is rising upwards, and then it is seeping sideways across the DPC, and then the breeze blocks are soaking up the water that's sitting on the DPC.

Here are a few pics:

And

I was told this is what is actually happening:

So I was told to make a concrete triangular fillet like this:

However, I was going to construct a roof, and in doing so, I'd have dry ground, it would protect the wall from rain, and I'd also have an extra storage area. At least that's the thinking behind it:

Ideally though, I was wondering if there was a third (better) way to tackle the problem.

If at all possible, I would like to avoid digging a soakaway because I have an armoured electrical cable running underneath the patch of ground. More than that, I'd just like to avoid digging a channel in the garden.

Any suggestions?

Thanks all.
Rorschach

Re: Rising Water

Post by Rorschach »

The ground level outside should be lower than the DPC otherwise its pointless having it there.
Mark-J

Post by Mark-J »

Rorschach wrote:The ground level outside should be lower than the DPC otherwise its pointless having it there.
Good point.

I think right now it's about level. But I always had a mind to take a few inches off the top when the weather breaks.

Thanks for replying.
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

You need 150mm if I recall correctly.
These users thanked the author Rorschach for the post:
Mark-J
Rating: 7.14%
Mark-J

Post by Mark-J »

Rorschach wrote:You need 150mm if I recall correctly.
I've just been out in the garden with the spade and cleared a good 75mm off the top, might be closer to 100mm (though that's probably wishful thinking). I've got quite a lot of cover on that side so I'm hoping that will be enough.

I'll see how it goes the next bucket of rain we get. I'm in Wales so it should be any minute now.

Return to “Damp Proofing and Remedial problems”