Self cut system

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

Mdtraves
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Self cut system

Post by Mdtraves »

s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg (10.42 KiB) Viewed 3791 times
Hi guys.. I'm just looking for a bit of guidance as I'm not the most experienced when DIY is involved..
I really like the idea of the self cut system. I think it might be better known in the US where they are sold. I'm from the UK. I already think the product is massively overpriced before having to pay a large shipping fee. So this has had ne considering making my own version.
My general thoughts so far have been as follows..
I can buy a 4 pack of square 300mm mirrors from IKEA for around £5.
4/6 hinges and screws maybe a couple of pounds.
Maybe some thin form of wood 300mm x 300mm from a builders merchants, unsure of price.
I'm guessing I'd have to use a glue as the best way to attach glass to wood.
I haven't really thought of a solution to the holders which hang from the door top, whilst being able to detach from the mirror when storing.

Maybe this is more difficult to make then I'm imagining. It doesn't need to be perfect just wanting it to work similarly to the above product. If it can be made light and easily strorable then that's an extra bonus!!

Any thoughts orideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

https://goo.gl/images/X8ej7K
boxedin

Re: Self cut system

Post by boxedin »

I use a hall/bathroom mirror and a shaving mirror in one hand and a phillips hair trimmer in the other for the awkward bits at the back but them I am a no 2 all over so I aren't that fussy. Lot quicker and cheaper than trailling to the barbers

You could but one of those triple dressing table mirrors and sit in front and then turn around

If you put down a cheap tarp type sheet and stand on it then brush the hairs off that stick to your neck and shoulders it makes cleaning up a breeze better you do it before a shower anyway
Mdtraves
Newly registered Member

Post by Mdtraves »

Yeah, I haven't been to the barbers in 20 years. I bald fade my hair from
0 upto grade 2 so something like this mirror would really help at the back. I suppose another option would be to buy 3 framed mirrors which are about 6 quid each, these are about 40/50 cms so the whole thing might get a bit big/heavy to hang on a door.

Hmm I've never really thought about putting tarp down Haha. That would save time cleaning!
boxedin

Post by boxedin »

A double one here you would have to turn it through 180 degrees to do other side
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hairdressers-B ... air+mirror

If you are into precision cutting then an led light/torch hung over mirror/door will help you see what you are doing
Mdtraves
Newly registered Member

Post by Mdtraves »

Yeah that looks good.. looks big enough and should be pretty light aswell. Just have to think of away of attaching it to the wall/door to have 2 free hands now. and being able to remove to store it. Thanks for this idea.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Put it on a shelf?
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
boxedin

Post by boxedin »

Double sided heavy duty velcro in white assuming door is white won't look too bad , available on ebay cheaper when generic
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-25-38-50m ... :rk:8:pf:0
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Feel and a handheld mirror to check do the job for me, but I do a simple grade 1 all over.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I bought a triple make up mirror for Mrs D off Amazon for £20. The centre mirror has lights around the edge to illuminate your image. Although it is wired in to a socket in the bedroom I used it once for a shave and it was great. However, I made a mess, got told off and I have never used it again :lol:

DWD
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

I used to get the wife to do the back of mine, just the fuzz on my neck as she couldn't be trusted to do more than that. She's incapable of even doing that now, so when she gets her hair cut (although I often do hers as well now) I get the fuzz trimmed by her hairdresser.

In between times I just leave it, I don't feel need to look immaculately groomed at all times, scruffy is good enough. :oops:

I can't work backwards in mirrors, I'd probably make less of a cock-up just doing it without a mirror!

One thing you might want to try which I did a couple of times before the wife was completely incapable, was to use one of those wide elasticated exercise bands - I wrapped it around my head and just left the fuzz on the back of my neck uncovered, (sight checked in the mirror) and then let the wife loose on anything hairy that was still visible - a bit like a slightly more refined pudding basin cut. :mrgreen:
One day it will all be firewood.
boxedin

Post by boxedin »

This would work but its finding the mirrors with the frames that will take a screw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imXkThLYGcw

Return to “General DIY forum”