kitchen wiring and safe zones

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

Parentheses83
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

kitchen wiring and safe zones

Post by Parentheses83 »

Hi guys,

Just started to renovate our kitchen and whilst pulling off tiles we've come across some wiring which I wanted to get an opinion on...

The house is a Victorian terrace with a single storey pitched-roof kitchen, last renovated some time in the 70s/80s by the previous owners. The downstairs ring circuit has been extended from the living room into the kitchen by drilling through the dividing wall and running cables behind the sink to the end wall to provide power for the fridge and washing machine. The cables were partly buried in plaster which came away when we were removing tiles. Here's what the kitchen circuit looks like on this side of the room:
existing wiring
existing wiring
Untitled-1-02-existing.png (42.88 KiB) Viewed 1371 times
As the cables sit in a channel cut into the plaster my plan was just to fix plasterboard over the top to avoid having to rewire, but after looking into it I'm not so sure it follows the guidelines about established safe zones for wiring.

Would I be better to re-route the cable so that it comes up in the corner of the kitchen and then run it over the top of the window, as below? We're putting in a new ceiling so the cables could just run between the joists and the plasterboard. Any advice gratefully received! Thanks.
proposed wiring
proposed wiring
Untitled-1-02-proposed.png (44.78 KiB) Viewed 1371 times
Someone-Else

Re: kitchen wiring and safe zones

Post by Someone-Else »

Safe zones are meant to make it less likely for some one to hit a cable, so running them up and into the loft makes it even less likely
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
aeromech3

Re: kitchen wiring and safe zones

Post by aeromech3 »

S-E what is the score on surface mounted as it would 'appear' they will be at the back of units?

Return to “Electric Forum UK”