Unable to fill upstairs radiators

Questions about central heating and boiler questions in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

davej
Been thanked: 0

Unable to fill upstairs radiators

Post by davej »

I've had some work done on the heating system (gas boiler with a hot water cylinder) and since then I'm unable to fill the upstairs radiators. The header tank has water in and the level changes suggesting it's getting water to the system below. I try to bleed an upstairs radiator and it'll fill with a bit of water, about a quarter judging by what heat it gives off and then the pressure just goes, i.e. no more air coming out. Unfortunately the guy who did the initial work isn't available for a while (funny that). I've had someone else in to have a look and he's baffled by it.

The layout is a 2 port valve and pump on the return from the cylinder, and a 2 port valve on the flow to the radiators and a pump on the return from the radiators. The 2 port valves replaced two 3 port valves which acted as mixing valves. It seems logical that this change is what's causing the problem but I can't figure it out. I'm not a plumber btw but I have a certain amount of common sense (I think), just wondered if anyone has any ideas? I've attached an amateurish drawing of what I can see in the garage.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (46.49 KiB) Viewed 1131 times
Bob225

Re: Unable to fill upstairs radiators

Post by Bob225 »

Possible a pump issue going by your diagram the 2 pumps will be working against one another ?
davej
Been thanked: 0

Re: Unable to fill upstairs radiators

Post by davej »

Bob225 wrote:Possible a pump issue going by your diagram the 2 pumps will be working against one another ?
Thanks for your reply, how would that affect the ability bleed the upstairs radiators, or is it a separate issue? I could try setting the pumps to the lowest speed, they're currently both on 2. It's worked fine for many years until this.

Return to “Central Heating & Boilers”