Best glue for chair repair ?

Wood working questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

wine~o

Best glue for chair repair ?

Post by wine~o »

Basically I've got a few 1970's dining chairs that will need putting back into service Christmas day.

A few joints (dowelled) have opened up so the chairs are a wee bit wobbly so what glue would be best to sort this ?

(Preferably summat I can pick up from screwfix or somewhere easy to get to)

TIA
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
aeromech3

Re: Best glue for chair repair ?

Post by aeromech3 »

I've used cascamite in powdered resin form, avail Amazon, you can mix with cold water to a paste or thinner but have damp rag to wipe of excess as it is white and obvious; also have clamps ready or a tourniquet system ready; I use those rubber cups you get with persil washing liquid to mix it as always have a few spares.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

can you get them apart ??
at best you will get another year or two out off them as the old glue sinks into the wood so stops new glue penetrating :dunno:
we are all ------------------still learning
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

gorilla glue is good mind the foaming stuff tho, unless its well clamped

https://www.screwfix.com/p/gorilla-glue ... 32ml/83299 or https://www.screwfix.com/p/gorilla-glue ... 36ml/43424

https://www.screwfix.com/p/gorilla-glue-115ml/54593 this is the foaming one, I have stuck stone and brick back together with this stuff

I used to use Titebond (green label) but like anything that's good they went and changed it

Failing that good ol evo-stik exterior (blue bottle)
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

aeromech3 wrote:I've used cascamite in powdered resin form.....have damp rag to wipe of excess as it is white and obvious.
White and obvious which is why I normally mix a bit of burnt umber powder into it to get a more similar colour to the timber or finish.
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

Job & Knock suggested this one when I asked a few weeks ago. He also said, 6 months life if you pump the air out of the bottle. I started by asking for the more complex glues ... happy with it so far, mind you I did not fix any chairs but now that you mention it I have at least one that needs it.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

I've used that glue before . Good stuff unless you only use it occasionally in which case you'll probably waste more than you use. Saying that I do have a bottle that must be over a year old . Nearly at the end of it now though. It had started going off from the top but still liquid at the bottom . I got to the deccent stuff by cutting a little hole in the side of the bottle , in fact I've done this a number of times. Messy but at least I get a bit more use out of it .

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”