Wall hung toilet on really thin wall and no frame shower

This is where you can post pictures of work that you have done. Tradesmen and DIY pictures are all welcome. Please only post pictures of work that you have done personally. Thanks

Moderator: Moderators

TimB100

Wall hung toilet on really thin wall and no frame shower

Post by TimB100 »

Another of the what I did series....

In my bathroom I always wanted a wall hung toilet. But after stripping the wall back of the lathe and plaster it became very apparent it was not going to be easy.

The wall was built on 2" studs, Good old turn of the century cost cutting! On top of that the wall was not strong if you lent on it you could deflect it.

My issues were 2 fold
1 What to hang the toilet on
2 Where to put the cistern

The only place I could find that had any strength was the floor joists. So I purchased 3mts of 25mm box section tube and welded up a frame that would hold the toilet bolts and could be bolted to the joist underneath around the waste outlet that had to be there. Lucky the joist was not actually under the wall being set back 50mm from the bath wall. I also braced it against the next joist to prevent twisting.
In hindsight I could have used some 50mm box section and bolted it between the roof joists and the floor. But that would have been 6mts of tube and I did not have enough time to by some.

The second issue was the cistern. The only place was up in the loft, In my loft extension storage area. This meant a long run as can be seen in the photo. The kink was needed to get round the Pneumatic push buttons. If you look close you can see the tubes in place for the pneumatic face plate.

One last point was the waste outlet. I went for a 90deg outlet and even after placing it as far back as possible it still intrudes into the room. But it's under the toilet and with the tile board and tiles its only 50mm wide so unless you look for it is not visible.

How did it all work out?
The toilet is rock solid. Not a nats c*ck of give
The long length of pneumatic tube means you have to give it a hard push
It takes a second or 2 for the water to hit the pan.

The second part of this post might be of use to others building a shower. Having used a sliding shower door and hating it due to the muck that builds up I vowed never to use them again.
I would have liked a walk in shower but there was not enough room. So I sourced a hinged door and side screen. I used off the shelf ali channel and buried it in the wall before tiling so it would be flush. I ran a buffer over the edge to give it a polish first.
The glass was then siliconed in the channel and just left to sit on the tiles on the floor with a small bead of silicon to keep it in place.
As can be seen the areas to gunk up are minimal and make cleaning simple. Flat glass also helps.

wall hung toilet bracket and down pipe.JPG
wall hung toilet bracket and down pipe.JPG (63.46 KiB) Viewed 6931 times
Wall hung finished.JPG
Wall hung finished.JPG (43.3 KiB) Viewed 6931 times
Shower inset.JPG
Shower inset.JPG (50.47 KiB) Viewed 6931 times
Shower.JPG
Shower.JPG (44.97 KiB) Viewed 6931 times
wine~o

Re: Wall hung toilet on really thin wall and no frame shower

Post by wine~o »

Looks well.
As an aside I've got one of those glass squeegees that sits on a suction cup. Every now and again the suction cup gives up in the night and the squeegee drops with a right clatter...

Never fails to wake me up.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
Ktuludays

Post by Ktuludays »

Good effort on the toilet mounting. Can't beat over engineering something, exactly what I'd do [emoji3]

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.
Hitch

Post by Hitch »

Nice job. Some proper bracketry there!
[size=100][color=green][b]Why isn't the number 11 pronounced onety one? [/b][/color][/size]
gc1967

Post by gc1967 »

Lovely job - what a difference it makes and loving the shower
Nos

Post by Nos »

Looks good, however why didnt you use the proper fitting? Wall hung are very popular here in France, in fact I will have three of them in the house, but they all fit into a specially built frame, the frames are adjustable for height, the contain the cistern and flush buttons, there are different depths, and two leg or four leg versions depending on your mounting wall, they vary in price from 100€ upwards, just curious.
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Post by ultimatehandyman »

Very neat job :thumbleft:

I bet those tiles were a bit of a pain to install!
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Just thought I should mention TimB100 who posted that did so in November last year he made a few other posts in 2018, and has never been back since :hiding:
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)

Return to “Show Case Gallery”