What to fill in a large hole in plaster wall with.

All building related posts in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

Ar100
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What to fill in a large hole in plaster wall with.

Post by Ar100 »

Hello.

Hopefully this is the correct forum for this question.

After some research I assume I have a plaster wall.

So, my door frame in my flat was kicked in from the inside a good while back resulting in the frame dislodging a couple of inches out and over time a huge hole has developed on the outside of the wall.

The hole is around 1.5m x 0.5m and up to 20cm deep in places. This is also due to me knocking a fair chunk out so I could push the frame back in.

So now the frame is back flush I need to fill this huge hole and also secure it. Could you recommend a material, I assume some kind of plaster or plaster mix.

Also how do I secure it so it doesn't start to pop out each time I shut the door, do I use screws, brackets, fibreglass, wire mesh etc.

Thank you for any advice.
Duck_Tape

Re: What to fill in a large hole in plaster wall with.

Post by Duck_Tape »

Hi :welcomeuhm:
First off before anyone can tell the extent of the issue and possible solutions a few photos would help.
Is this an internal door or an external door (I am guessing internal, as you would have issues locking your property with a wonky external door)
As I said photos help a lot
Regards
DuckTape
I love hard work, I could watch it all day
Ar100
Newly registered Member

Post by Ar100 »

Photos.

You can see I already tried to cement(using regular sand/cement) it but the door has since popped back out over weeks. The reason is that the frame was not flush when pushed back in and the door was clipping the frame each time it was shut hence over time the frame has popped out as in photo. Looks ridiculous but I haven't had time to fix it so this has happened over weeks.

I will need to knock out all the cement and put the frame back in perfectly this time however I need to secure it and I think fill with plaster rather than cement. That will leave a large hole.

Inside

Outside

Duck_Tape

Post by Duck_Tape »

Hi, Just to check is this the external door to your flat, ie the door you lock before you leave the property?
If it is, and as it's a flat is there a management company or factor that takes to do with the exterior of the property?
I ask as what you have done already looks awful (sorry I do not mean to offend) you are reaching out for help and no one wants a kick in the teeth about
their previous attempts, but if there is a management team or factor for the building they may in a better position to help you, rather than you go it alone.

Sorry if that is not as helpful as you would like.

If this is an internal door, either get a trades guy/girl round to do it,
I love hard work, I could watch it all day
Ar100
Newly registered Member

Post by Ar100 »

Thanks and I don't take offence to your criticism. It's the best way to learn. I know it's mess.

It's a council place so I'd like to do it myself and forget it ever happened.

It's the front door but inside a block of flats there's a security door just to the left etc. I assume that makes it an internal door.

What I really need to know is what to fill the hole with, raw cement is to brittle it seems. Could you recommended a filler, how about this?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/ronseal-big- ... poQAvD_BwE

Secondly I need to secure it, such as a screw(s) from the jamb into the wall sort of thing once the frame is back in place. Or some kind of mesh otherwise over time I think the whole think will just pop out mm after mm till it gets to this state again.
Ar100
Newly registered Member

Post by Ar100 »

Can get delete this topic?
moderator2
UHM Super Moderator

Post by moderator2 »

Ar100 wrote:Can get delete this topic?
For a small fee.

Return to “Building Forum”