Damp/mold in bedroom help needed

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

ITVdaz
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Damp/mold in bedroom help needed

Post by ITVdaz »

Hi. I have recently found lots of mold on the back of my daughters Ikea wardrobe which is located in the alcove in her bedroom. We moved into this property two years ago and found a lot of damp on this wall after removing the wallpaper in her room. Last year after being advised we removed the plaster on the outfacing wall, fitted PERMASEAL DAMP PROOF MEMBRANE to the brickwork then,reboarded and replastered. When I pulled the wardrobe out the wall appears to not be effected, just the back of the wardrobe? During the winter my daughters room does get a lot of condensation on the windows first thing in the morning, we have now bought a dehumidifier to tackle this. This morning I checked behind my daughters Ikea drawers and these to have also been effected by mold so has the back of a framed picture on the same wall. Both the wardrobe and drawers are about two inches away from the wall creating an air gap. I was thinking of fitting an air brick on the outer wall to help prevent further mold from gathering in my daughters room, would this work? I’m starting to run out of ideas. Any advice would be great.
wes56

Re: Damp/mold in bedroom help needed

Post by wes56 »

the units will have to be kept well away from the wall in question.
the doors and drawers should be kept open a little.
having a 24/7 trickle venting and heating will help and maybe if more is needed then a window could be left open a crack at night.

but if your daughter is a little one or has asthma then GP's advice would be needed.

Return to “General DIY forum”