Black, Grey Brown

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

tonk
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Black, Grey Brown

Post by tonk »

Hello
Opened a junction box in my bathroom to find and earth cable, black, grey and brown cable. Confused me as expected to find earth, brown, blue.
Electricians have left it there (new Build). With the bathroom lights on, from memory brown and black are live.
The is a fan in the same room
Any early thoughts, as I would like to install a bathroom light.
Thanks Tonk
wine~o

Re: Black, Grey Brown

Post by wine~o »

brown/black/grey is the "harmonised" 3 core, one will be permanent live, one switched live and one neutral. Without a multimeter impossible to tell which is which.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
tonk
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by tonk »

Thanks Wino..
Got me thinking, will get back to you if this is ok.
Cheers
ericmark

Post by ericmark »

Three core and earth is used to supply bathroom fans and two way switches, pre-harmonisation it was red, yellow, blue UK, brown, black, black Europe, grey was used when we harmonised it replaced the blue, so some electricians used the grey as neutral others used black as neutral either way the wire should be over sleeved so you should have one wire brown over sleeved and other blue over sleeved for a fan, and two brown over sleeved for a two way switch.

However there is no law forcing over sleeving and to be frank easier to trace with three colours so over sleeving is being a little pedantic. Again we should produce plans showing every junction box, socket and light fitting, but never seen it done with domestic.

I wonder why there is a junction box in the bathroom? I will guess down lighters? problem with a bathroom is unless over a set height (2.25 meters) there are special regulations as to what can be fitted, I know my bathroom has a pendent light, but that was fitted 1980 and at that time there was no shower fitted.

Pictures are always good.
These users thanked the author ericmark for the post:
tonk
Rating: 7.14%

Return to “Electric Forum UK”