Green roof on garage.

All building related posts in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

ashleywood.ash

Green roof on garage.

Post by ashleywood.ash »

Hi guys,
Looking to start a new project after Xmas. I am going to build myself a new garage.
I am happy with the building part regarding walls etc and the roof (yes I will be talking to struc eng).

Anyway I fancy doing a green roof as I will be digging into my garden which is already raised meaning the garage roof will only be 3-4 foot above my garden level. This way I think it will blend into my garden and also look like I am using less garden.

I have read that fibreglass is the preferred roofing material although I do like the firestone rubberoid personally.

Anyway I am curious into what next with a green roof.

Does the soil sit directly onto the roofing material or is there another form of barrier?
What are people doing with regards to securing boundaries to the roof without screwing actually down into the roof material?

Proving you use the required strength timber joists are people also walking regularly on their roof? As thinking of putting a deck area up there too.

Just wondering in general as struggling to find actual installation information.

Also does anyone else have one and what do they think? Do you like it?

Cheers
mick.mh2racing
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Re: Green roof on garage.

Post by mick.mh2racing »

Sounds very ambitious, not something I've ever attempted so can't offer any advice other than belt and braces or you'll get water ingress. Also, as you stated, the weight of the roof would be immense.

sent using smoke signals
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

I read a book recently where the guy (Chris Stewart - the original drummer in Genesis) put a green roof on his house in Spain, I remember it having several layers but couldn't remember any detail.

Google is your best friend in these situations.
green_roof_layers.gif
green_roof_layers.gif (36.2 KiB) Viewed 1367 times
One day it will all be firewood.
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

your biggest issue will be weight, so from ground up it will need to be a lot stronger than a single skin block with a few piers
ashleywood.ash

Post by ashleywood.ash »

ayjay wrote:I read a book recently where the guy (Chris Stewart - the original drummer in Genesis) put a green roof on his house in Spain, I remember it having several layers but couldn't remember any detail.

Google is your best friend in these situations.
green_roof_layers.gif
That diagram is great thanks.

Yeah I know it's not straight forward. I would be trying to keep weight down by doing decked areas and artificial grass but still think it will look better.

Building will be normal foundations on foundation blocks with double skinned walls using concrete block and faced with brick where visible above ground.
I'll put a couple of steels in to assist the roof and base on what struc eng says.

Return to “Building Forum”