Installing Electric Wall Heater 1KW or 2KW in Bathroom

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

Someone-Else

Re: Installing Electric Wall Heater 1KW or 2KW in Bathroom

Post by Someone-Else »

yartin wrote: is it safe to say white cable coming from the ceiling?
Nope.

As you have been told, NEVER assume anything.

A PITA that it will be you have to find out for sure where the (any) cables goes if you want to work near it. I really wish it was an easy answer, but there isn't.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
yartin

Post by yartin »

Please advise where to put the fan heater:

I have put the photo of my bathroom layout, not to scale. It shows where the cable is coming from the wall maked "CABLE".
Initially I was planning to fix the fan heater just there on that wall but now I am thinking to fix it next to the windows as shows as HEATER in the pic. Any thoughts?
Attachments
IMG_2607.JPG
IMG_2607.JPG (79.9 KiB) Viewed 1735 times
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

you really need to establish which way the cables run first.

Unscrew the faceplate of the FCU and you should have a much better idea of where the cables run.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
yartin

Post by yartin »

wine~o wrote:you really need to establish which way the cables run first.

Unscrew the faceplate of the FCU and you should have a much better idea of where the cables run.
I just been to the loft, I saw the cable coming on joists (pic attached) and going into the floor where the cable comes up.
Attachments
IMG_2601.JPG
IMG_2601.JPG (75.56 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Not being funny, (No really, I am not being funny or awkward) but what use is a picture of a cable on a joist?
It could be any cable going anywhere.

If the cable is in the loft how do you know its the one "in the floor"?
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Post by OnlyMe »

yartin wrote: Can't see 6A on CU, assume it is the 10A lighting you're referring to, photo attached.
Just a quick comment on your CU.

It appears the kitchen sockets are on a 40A MCB and are on the non RCD protected side of the CU.

I would also query the use of the 10 amp D rated MCB labelled lighting next to the kitchen sockets.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

as an aside
a 2kw will always be more efficient over a 1kw assuming it has a thermostat
for example iff you have say a 500w heat loss to keep the calculations simple then a 1kw will be warming the room at a rate off 500w where as a 2kw will heat the room 3 times faster so a l kw heats the room in say 1hr a 2kw will take maybe 15 -20mins
it will also feel much warmer with a lower room temperature because off the higher warm air flow level

also iff you angle the fan down towards the centre off room it will draw the warm air at roof level [warmest place in the room] towards the main torso
These users thanked the author big-all for the post:
yartin
Rating: 7.14%
we are all ------------------still learning
yartin

Post by yartin »

I have taken the fused spur face plate of the wall, pic attached. Supply coming from loft and load cable coming down and of the wall, pic attached. I have also put a pic of the cable core which looks 1.5mm plus and good enough for 2kw fan heater.
I can pull the load cable so it's easy to take it out need to.

The issue now, what is the best way to wire the fan? Bearing in mind the load cable outlet location is too low, the fan has to be fitted higher by around 20cm. To add, the fan I bought (still not arrived) has a cable with a plug so I need to cut the plug out and connect to my spur.

I am thinking of following options:
1. Shall I chisel the wall carefully along the load cable so it can be high enough then have a surface junction box connecting the load cable to the fan cable?
2. I don't mind converting to surface mount fused spur if it is easier. So discnnect load cable and take off the wall and connect fan cable to spur. It will be a short cable 20cm or so on the wall which I can use pvc trunking
3. Disconnect load cable from spur and Pull out from the wall, then can I push the fan cable inside the wall to come by the spur end and wire it? The fan cable will be round flexible similar to a kettle or toaster cable and not sure if it will inside the wall. In this I need to chisel the wall to the distance between fan and spur. If fan cable doesn't fit then I have to chisel from Spur end to where I want. I think this option is best?!
4. Or what the experts suggest?

As it is, distance between spur and load cable outlet is 47cm. I want to locate the fan 15cm from the spur.
Attachments
IMG_2605.JPG
IMG_2605.JPG (40.2 KiB) Viewed 1684 times
IMG_2629 (1).JPG
IMG_2629 (1).JPG (81.4 KiB) Viewed 1684 times
IMG_2627.JPG
IMG_2627.JPG (83.49 KiB) Viewed 1684 times
yartin

Post by yartin »

Update:

I changed existing spur fuse with an MK fuse spur with flex out. Discarded existing load cable form wall and put new cable from spur to fan running on the wall covered with 13cm long of pvc trunking which is OK for a bathroom corner. Pic attached.
Job done!

Edit: need to decorate wall.
Attachments
IMG_2675.JPG
IMG_2675.JPG (60.47 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
These users thanked the author yartin for the post:
D215YQ
Rating: 7.14%

Return to “Electric Forum UK”