Installing Electric Wall Heater 1KW or 2KW in Bathroom

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

yartin

Installing Electric Wall Heater 1KW or 2KW in Bathroom

Post by yartin »

Hi
I want to install wall heater in my bathroom which is about 2.7m X 2.8m area size, 1KW will do but most fan heaters are 1KW/2KW adjustable on installation.
I have a cable unused behind an unused mirror in the bathroom and there is a spur fuse above which I believe belongs to it. I have never used this cable and haven't checked the fuse.
My questions are:
1. Is this cable safe enough/sufficient for 2KW heater? if not how about 1KW heater? 9A against 4.5A.
2. How do I check if the cable is live safely?

Photo of cable and spur attached.

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_2591.JPG
IMG_2591.JPG (82.94 KiB) Viewed 5009 times
IMG_2590.JPG
IMG_2590.JPG (52.99 KiB) Viewed 5009 times
yartin

Re: Installing Electric Wall Heater 1KW or 2KW in Bathroom

Post by yartin »

I just checked the spur and it has a 13A fuse.
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

I assume you don't have a multimeter so easiest way to test for live is to wire in a bulb holder and see if the lamp works. If so then it's live.

Question ... are there any markings on the cable coming from the wall such as 1.0 1.5 or 2.5 ?

Next with the bulb lit switch off any circuits of 6 A ( marked lighting) at the consumer unit, Does the light stay on or go off ?
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
yartin

Post by yartin »

wine~o wrote:I assume you don't have a multimeter so easiest way to test for live is to wire in a bulb holder and see if the lamp works. If so then it's live.

Question ... are there any markings on the cable coming from the wall such as 1.0 1.5 or 2.5 ?

Next with the bulb lit switch off any circuits of 6 A ( marked lighting) at the consumer unit, Does the light stay on or go off ?
Yes I have multimeter, I will check for V ac between L and N for mains voltage, I will do that tomorrow easier than bulb.

No marking on cable, spurs has 13A fuse, safe to assume 1.5mm?

Can't see 6A on CU, assume it is the 10A lighting you're referring to, photo attached.
Attachments
IMG_2592.JPG
IMG_2592.JPG (273.92 KiB) Viewed 4979 times
yartin

Post by yartin »

wine~o wrote:
This cable was added later by previous owner, I believe. So I don't think it is taken from the lighting circuit but will check, probably wire and bulb method is easier to check on which rcd.
I understand fan heater should not be on lighting circuit?
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

yartin wrote: I understand fan heater should not be on lighting circuit?
That's basically what I was getting at, if a lighting circuit then no heater, if a ring main then good to go assuming that the cable from the FCU to the heater is up to the job.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

yartin

Post by yartin »

wine~o wrote:
That's basically what I was getting at, if a lighting circuit then no heater, if a ring main then good to go assuming that the cable from the FCU to the heater is up to the job.
Got it, I will check this weekend, many thanks.
yartin

Post by yartin »

wine~o wrote:
Just checked this morning, the cable is live and the spur fuse works and it is connected to a B16 Socket RCD, second from left RCD in my previous photo, I turned all rcds off and connected the bulb as in pic, then turned on one rcd at a time until bulb lit. So its done properly and not to a light circuit.

The cable measures about 11mm width including the white sleeves and seems thick enough not easy to bend so at least 1.5mm and should be safe for 2KW heater? also fitted with 13A fuse to justify this. Though I will use the 1KW option on installation.

Is it safe to assume the cable is coming down from the loft so I can drill any where below or beside where the cable comes out of the wall to fix heater into wall?
Attachments
IMG_2593.JPG
IMG_2593.JPG (58.98 KiB) Viewed 4931 times
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Never safe to assume. Since you are going to be covering the cable with a heater, enlarge the hole a little bit so you can see where the cable runs.
yartin

Post by yartin »

Rorschach wrote:Never safe to assume. Since you are going to be covering the cable with a heater, enlarge the hole a little bit so you can see where the cable runs.
How about cable detector? Are cheap ones around £5-10 reliable?
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

yartin wrote:
Rorschach wrote:Never safe to assume. Since you are going to be covering the cable with a heater, enlarge the hole a little bit so you can see where the cable runs.
How about cable detector? Are cheap ones around £5-10 reliable?
I have never found one that works.
yartin

Post by yartin »

I am getting a fan which plugs to wall socket, (it is a bathroom fan IP23, zone 3 but which bathroom has wall socket?!), this mean I will have to cut the cable discard plug and connect to my wall cable and use PVC trunking, which connector should I use which will hide in the trunks?
Unless I will be able to feed my cable inside the casing of the heater, won't know until I see it.
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

I would hazard a guess that the supply runs horizontally from the fcu to where the cable comes out of the wall
yartin.JPG
yartin.JPG (48.89 KiB) Viewed 4921 times
But do check as Rorsasch says.

Unusual to have a bathroom heater that comes with a plug, does it have a pull cord for switching on and off ?

Oh and Zone 3 no longer exists, zones 0, 1 and 2 do exist, outside of that is no longer zone 3, just "outside of the zones"
Verwood Handyman

yartin

Post by yartin »

wine~o wrote:I would hazard a guess that the supply runs horizontally from the fcu to where the cable comes out of the wall
The attachment yartin.JPG is no longer available
But do check as Rorsasch says.

Unusual to have a bathroom heater that comes with a plug, does it have a pull cord for switching on and off ?

Oh and Zone 3 no longer exists, zones 0, 1 and 2 do exist, outside of that is no longer zone 3, just "outside of the zones"
Yes it has pull cord, they have UK office so not a grey import, will call them next week, screen photo from the manual attached.
Attachments
zone 3.png
zone 3.png (315.12 KiB) Viewed 4918 times
yartin

Post by yartin »

I had a closer look today, pics attached, is it safe to say white cable coming from the ceiling? So I can drill anywhere under and to the left or right safely to fix fan?
Attachments
IMG_2605.JPG
IMG_2605.JPG (40.2 KiB) Viewed 4889 times
IMG_2604.JPG
IMG_2604.JPG (63.69 KiB) Viewed 4889 times

Return to “Electric Forum UK”