Alarm (internal) went off when not set - tamper

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

Someone-Else

Re: Alarm (internal) went off when not set - tamper

Post by Someone-Else »

I already told you last year how to do that, its still the same answer now as it was then.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
MrMrMr

Post by MrMrMr »

Sorry it's a busy and difficult time lately.....

"You put a link between 0v and Tr" ok I'll do this and see what happens thanks.

So yesterday when it was going off and wouldn't silence had to keep putting the code in constantly, maybe 5 times, what do you think is?

Thanks
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Tamper.
You enter your code it stops, tamper is clear, Tamper happens again internal sounder activates (as it should) you enter your code, it stops.........
How old is the battery?

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

MrMrMr

Post by MrMrMr »

3 year old. Both were changed, in panel and bell box then. A new bell box was also fitted at same time. By an installer.
MrMrMr

Post by MrMrMr »

Linked 0 and Tr and seemed ok for a few days.

However the alarm isn't set and the outside bell box is randomly going off. No internal sounder going off like it was other times. Nothing shows on the panel, no tamper or anything. Went off and just stopped itself.

I'm at a loss now, what could it be?
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

MrMrMr wrote:Linked 0 and Tr and seemed ok for a few days.

However the alarm isn't set and the outside bell box is randomly going off. No internal sounder going off like it was other times. Nothing shows on the panel, no tamper or anything. Went off and just stopped itself.

I'm at a loss now, what could it be?
The answer is in what you have said already

Linked 0 and Tr and seemed ok So it can't be the bell cable

alarm isn't set and the outside bell box is randomly going off Which means It is a tamper problem

No internal sounder going off like it was other times That's because the panel and everything else is ok.

no tamper or anything Same as above

So the only thing left is..................... (I have to go out, now back later, want to guess?)

I look at it that if I tell you, you will never learn, If I point you in the right direction you will learn for your self.

MrMrMr

Post by MrMrMr »

someone-else wrote:
MrMrMr wrote:

I look at it that if I tell you, you will never learn, If I point you in the right direction you will learn for your self.
I'm trying to follow your info, I'm not an expert on alarms, the reason I ask.on the forum.

I'm asking for help, I'll reread the whole thread but thought I've answered every query you've asked.

As explained above got a lot on, sorry if missed something but eventually I've tried what you've suggested, unless been edited later.

I thought I'd now linked out all tamper and yet you say it's a tamper problem (apart from the RKP which you say can't be linked out)

Could you help please?
Thanks
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

It's your "Bell" That is at fault. It has a bad connection or it has failed.
Unless its blatantly obvious when you open it as to what is wrong, I would be inclined to change it.

MrMrMr

Post by MrMrMr »

Ok I'll get some ladders and have a look thanks. Anything specific to check or just connections etc?

It's only 3 year old. It was replaced when I moved in, just the box not the cables though.

I will check the battery, but this was replaced when box changed as well.

I could test the cable from bell box to main panel when in as well.

Thanks again for help, need to get to bottom of this.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

It's not the panel battery'

The bell box:

It may be corroded (Its not unusual for some to install a bell box lower down on the original cable, resulting in rain having somewhere to follow into the box

It may on the other hand just be a bad connection.

MrMrMr

Post by MrMrMr »

Sorry meant the bell box battery, although that and the main panel battery were new 3 years ago.

I think if were battery would be happening more, happened this morn and hasn't since.

Need to get ladders and courage out ha ha t have a look then!!

Really hope find something, can't imagine many connections up to bell box and probably only one cable. Trouble being if is cable then without major surgery to replace.

If it's bell box happy to replace that myself. So can only do basic test for cable as in continuity and security really.

Hope find something and can then remove the links and start using alarm again.

Thanks again
MrMrMr

Post by MrMrMr »

Ahhhh help. Alarm going off again since 8am and won't stop. Neighbours and street not happy! The RKP again shows no tamper, infernal is both on, just the external bell box going off.

I'm in main panel and disconnected the connection "bell" which had 2 wires in, but bell box still going, presume from battery.

Trying user code just not working and seems after 20mins coming back on, even tried looking in manual for engineer code to shorten bell time but eng code not working, presume installer maybe changed 3 years ago or even original when house built.

I have to disable this permanently for now. So once get ladders do I just disconnect battery in bell box and check connections until something permanently done to fix?

Thanks
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

I did say it appears the bell is at fault. (Which is why using any code will not stop the bell)

Yes you need to disconnect the power to the bell (in the bell box) and the battery (in the bell box)

Batteries often have a link so you need to remove this.
The power to the bell you should cut the wire going to 12v+
These users thanked the author Someone-Else for the post:
MrMrMr
Rating: 7.14%

MrMrMr

Post by MrMrMr »

It's just stopped now thank goodness. Went off for maybe 30+ mins or so as stopped for a minute then came back on again.

At the moment I've got the main panel door open and the bell wire as indicated (x2 wires) disconnected.

The 12v power you say is that in the actual bell box, the manual (above screenshot shows in bell box as labelled +ve hold off), or just disconnect the 12v in the main panel as below and battery actually in bell box and then will not go off?

Also reading manual it had a engineer setting to change bell time down to 90 secs which I was trying to do so not going off for as long, but typing in eng code default (from manual) didn't work. Is there a way to find this out or reset it?

Thanks for replying early! Appreciate your help, so frustrated now just need it silenced for now, as getting worse! My day off is now finding ladders and disconnecting bell box battery at very least....
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

I already told you, it is the bell box at fault, changing any programming or disconnecting anything in the panel is a waste of time.
You have to disconnect at the bell box.

Return to “Electric Forum UK”