Wallpaper glue help!

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

mole81

Wallpaper glue help!

Post by mole81 »

I've stripped two walls of wallpaper and all come off lovely however there are lots of patches of glue residue left behind. Tried vinegar and water, hot soapy water and sugar soap and nothing is removing it. I want to paint these walls but don't fancy painting the paste! Is there anything I can do or product I can buy to clean this or shoukd I just re paper!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Tom d'Angler

Re: Wallpaper glue help!

Post by Tom d'Angler »

If you don't remove every little bit of residual wallpaper paste you run the risk of the paint crazing so, in my experience, the easiest and most effective solution is to hang lining paper, and then paint it.
mole81

Post by mole81 »

Tom d'Angler wrote:If you don't remove every little bit of residual wallpaper paste you run the risk of the paint crazing so, in my experience, the easiest and most effective solution is to hang lining paper, and then paint it.
Thanks, I'd rather avoid lining it if I can, must be something out there. Anyone use zinnser dif for this purpose?

OchAye

Post by OchAye »

Tom d'Angler wrote:If you don't remove every little bit of residual wallpaper paste you run the risk of the paint crazing so, in my experience, the easiest and most effective solution is to hang lining paper, and then paint it.
No. For a DIYer labour is cheap, lining paper has its uses whether it is to save time or to hold together crumbly plaster (as in lathe plaster) and similar. Other than that, lining paper tends to be a bodge in my mind. Lining paper shows - at least I see it - so it is the last solution before skimming whether with plaster or decorators skim products. Decorators should be able to do a skim coat, they do so in Europe and still wear white clothes and I am not that good at it but there again I am not time served.

To the OP. What you need is large bucket (x2 ideally), car style wash sponges (also x2 ideally), sugar soap powder as a safe add on (optional but you might as well), wallpaper scraper (x1 but the more you have the better it is to find the one you like) like this https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p66273 or this https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p96313 etc., and scotchbrite like so https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/company-u ... 499&rt=rud there are other non-brands too :mrgreen:

You use one bucket with warm water and sugar soap + sponge and get an area wet top to bottom. Go back to it a number of times 2 -3 times over 15 minutes. With that size sponge the water will be dripping to the floor... after 15-30 minutes the paste will be activated and that is when you scrape it off, use the scotchbrite as well once you have scrapped. If the wall has paste it will feel slimy and slippery but once it is clean it will not be easy to slide your finger tips on the wall. You don't need a lot of elbow grease or hard work, you need to let the water activate the paste. Once you get the method you can have cups of tea whilst waiting.

The second bucket/sponge warm water and spare scotchbrite are needed if you use sugar soap as it has to be rinsed off ... by the time you rinse things off (and use clean water as much as you can) there will be no paste residue left.

After that make the surface as good as you want (sand/fill/sand) etc.

I am a DIYer :-)

EDIT. If you strip any more walls, use the two buckets approach from the start. Don't take the paper off and then think what you will do next, as you remove the "wet" paper keep wetting the wall, scraping it and washing it down. The trick is to get everything moist and not to do it in stages.
Tom d'Angler

Post by Tom d'Angler »

Lining paper shows
Only if it's not done properly.
These users thanked the author Tom d'Angler for the post:
Have Brush Will Travel
Rating: 7.14%
aeromech3

Post by aeromech3 »

Would a steamer loosen the glue (if it is standard water based glue)? Set u back about £30!
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

Steamers are reputed to like blowing off plaster (the skim coat).
Desmondo15

Post by Desmondo15 »

No one mentioning Zinsser Guardz....
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

Desmondo15 wrote:No one mentioning Zinsser Guardz....
I assume the surface is not good enough (bumpy with paste).
mole81

Post by mole81 »

The walls aren't bumpy just an occasional haze. What is gardz?

Desmondo15

Post by Desmondo15 »

http://www.zinsseruk.com/product/gardz/

Definitely need to remove as much as you can first like Ochaye says.

Using a flat filling blade helps.

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”