plumbing, drainage and waste water questions here please

Moderator: Moderators

diyit
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Leak from toilet pan connector

Post by diyit »

Hi folks,

Hopefully someone can help with this. The leak is coming from the bottom where the white/grey pipes meet (See pic)

Could you please advise what needs replaced without moving the toilet? Or even what the correct setup should be?

Would the below from Screwfix work?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-wc- ... _container

Thanks
Attachments
Toilet.jpg
Toilet.jpg (100.58 KiB) Viewed 5058 times
dewaltdisney

Re: Leak from toilet pan connector

Post by dewaltdisney »

There are loads of types see https://www.marleyplumbinganddrainage.c ... onnectors/ In this instance the connector into the grey pipe is letting past the baffles that are like ribs on the connector that form the seals. They can go after a time and weep slightly. This is a mix of two fittings with another short pan connector used to reach the pan spigot.

If you search through the link you will find the matching pieces. The grey pipe stays. you might have to undo the floor fittings of the pan if you do not have enough wiggle room. Nothing is easy

Good luck

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
diyit
Rating: 7.14%
chrrris

Post by chrrris »

The 90degree pan connector is pushed into an elbow socket. They're designed to be pushed directly into the pipe. That's almost certainly why it's leaking (the socket it, as you'd expect, larger diameter than the pipe).

The other potential issue is that there is a straight pan connector on the pan (or is it an offset? I can't tell from the pic), pushed into a second pan connector. Again, this isn't how those fittings are designed to be used and pan connector pushed into a second pan connector will often leak too.

As DWD said, you're almost certainly going to have to remove the pan to sort it out properly. It's difficult to say exactly what I'd do to it, as your close-up doesn't show the actual pipework leading up to the loo. The easiest thing to try, which is something of a bodge if I'm honest, would be to remove the pan connectors and push a short length of 110mm pipe into the socket of the elbow, then reassemble.

To sort it out properly. I'd be inclined to remove everything back to that push-fit elbow, and re-run the pipework from there such that you can use a single 90 degree pan connector straight into the cut end of the 110mm. That way, if that is an offset pan connector on the back of the pan, you will no longer need it as you can angle the elbow up to the correct height.
These users thanked the author chrrris for the post:
diyit
Haste is the enemy of quality.
diyit
Newly registered Member

Post by diyit »

Hi guys,

Thanks for replies, will need to have a think about this. Was hoping pan wouldn't need removed as one of the smaller pipes is sealed. The adaptor is also sealed :wtf:

Re the pic, took a few more, having to crop each time so I can upload.

Apologies on my lack of part knowledge. I was hoping I could remove all but the grey pipe and install some sort of flexible connector, but just not sure I have the room for it. Reason I asked about the part from Screwfix was because of the hose clip.

Cheers
Attachments
20181024_165833....jpg
20181024_165833....jpg (18.42 KiB) Viewed 5008 times
20181024_165812....jpg
20181024_165812....jpg (26.9 KiB) Viewed 5008 times
20181024_165823....jpg
20181024_165823....jpg (22.91 KiB) Viewed 5008 times
chrrris

Post by chrrris »

Blimey - that really hasn't been done very well at all! To make it look 100%, you'd need to alter the pipework which would involve mucking around with that wall and whatever's behind it. As you're after a quick, functional fix I would remove both the pan connecters, push a length of pipe into the socket on that swept bend (about 3" or 4" inches long, just so it protrudes slightly from the socket. Then you can push a pan connector into that. You could use a flexible pan connector for simplicity - just make sure it doesn't sag because you-know-what will collect in any sagging bits. To be fair, it'll be such a tight bend on the pan connector that it shouldn't sag.

I can't really see how you can remove those pan connectors without lifting the pan. But it shouldn't be too a big deal, I would cut all that silicone off and use a new flush pipe connector (and maybe a new flush pipe if the reason for the silicone is that it's leaking due to the flush pipe being cut too short). It shouldn't be too big a job really - don't be too daunted by the idea of removing the pan. A sharp knife and maybe a scraper to remove the silicone, and a screwdriver too remove the two (or sometimes four) screws that hold it to the floor are all you'll need. You can lube the new connectors with a bit of washing-up liquid when fitting.
These users thanked the author chrrris for the post:
diyit
Haste is the enemy of quality.
diyit
Newly registered Member

Post by diyit »

I know, bad install all around, you'd think by looking at it we have tried to fix it over the years, but it's been like that from the start, installed by some cowboy ::b

Re the removal of those connectors, I was thinking about the lack of wiggle room. If I really wanted to avoid it, I could try cutting one of them, could get messy though :scratch:

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it.
arco_iris

Post by arco_iris »

To reiterate for the sake of clarity, the male end of the white part is designed to go into a 110mm soil pipe, as said above, and not the female grey socket. To resolve this a short piece (80/100mm) length of soil pipe is required to be inserted into the grey socket in order to reduce its diameter. Any colour 110 pipe will do, I've thrown loads of offcuts away over the years, have a look in some building site skips.

We then need to go from this 110 socket to the pan, doing away with the creamy coloured part - as said, this is a pan connector joined into a pan connector, and a bit of an ****.

You can get, from S/Fix or any builders' or plumbers' merchant, a (corrugated) flexible pan connector that will do this, and being flexible, you should not need to remove the pan. Corrugated means the length can ge adjusted.
diyit
Newly registered Member

Post by diyit »

arco_iris wrote:To reiterate for the sake of clarity, the male end of the white part is designed to go into a 110mm soil pipe, as said above, and not the female grey socket. To resolve this a short piece (80/100mm) length of soil pipe is required to be inserted into the grey socket in order to reduce its diameter. Any colour 110 pipe will do, I've thrown loads of offcuts away over the years, have a look in some building site skips.

We then need to go from this 110 socket to the pan, doing away with the creamy coloured part - as said, this is a pan connector joined into a pan connector, and a bit of an ****.

You can get, from S/Fix or any builders' or plumbers' merchant, a (corrugated) flexible pan connector that will do this, and being flexible, you should not need to remove the pan. Corrugated means the length can ge adjusted.
Ahhh ok I see, I think there might be a bit of 110mm already there (theres a rough cut bit at the top, in one of my pics) but would need to double check when it's taken apart. Maybe it moved, causing the leak.

Thank you mate
Nos

Post by Nos »

A simple bodge would be to smear silicon around the joint and wrap up tight with good quality gaffer tape, its a bodge but it will stop the drips, it looks like you are not on a low flush cistern, perhaps may be better in the long run to replace the whole lot and get the pipework done correctly, it depends on your circumstances and budget. :dunno: Nos
These users thanked the author Nos for the post:
diyit
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

Nos wrote:A simple bodge would be to smear silicon around the joint
Nah, Plumbers Mait (non setting putty) may work though.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk

Return to “Plumbing Forum”