DC618 16g nailer batteries

Dewalt power tool reviews in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

Manuforti
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

DC618 16g nailer batteries

Post by Manuforti »

Hi guys. New to the forum, hope someone is able to advise.
The batteries for my nailer have been slowly dying for some time now but, I'm have a problem trying to get it to work on compatible batteries.i bought two a while back thinking I was a no brainer, just plug in and away it would go. The nailer gave one turn, the LEDs flashed then nothing. Just couldn't get it to work. I sent the batteries back as its the only Dewalt tool I have. I even borrowed the slide battery adapter that a work colleague has to see if it that woul be a better option but the same thing happened. I know genuine batteries are still available online and locally but, £70 is a bit steep for old tech, don't you think. It seems as this tool will only work on genuine batteries, or should I be trying something else.
Thanks
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Re: DC618 16g nailer batteries

Post by big-all »

heeelllooo and welcome Manuforti :welcome: :welcome:
you can get those batteries but compared with newer batteries about the same price or more than a battery twice the capacity
https://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/ ... /DEWDE9503
you can get adapters for about £50 to use newer batteries with older kit but only choose genuine as the knock offs can kill the new batteries dead
These users thanked the author big-all for the post:
Manuforti
Rating: 7.14%
we are all ------------------still learning
Manuforti
Newly registered Member

Post by Manuforti »

Thanks for that big-all.
I'm reluctantly going to end up buying genuie ni-mh ones. I have looked in to a copy of the Dewalt adapter that I spotted on YouTube. The guy said it will definitely work on the nailer but mentions something about snipping out a part from the battery connection in the nailer. Sounds a bit drastic. The nailer works perfectly well, and my local tool repairer says the new ones aren't as good as this one. Just can't figure out why compatibles won't work. Maybe that's why Dewalt manage to keep the battery price soo high.
Thanks again
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

those prices are the lowest i have seen in years they didnt show them about a week ago others are £125 plus :shock:
i only notice them because to check for new dewalt toys i put in dewalt 18v and they are available on at least 4 off my favorates :lol:
you dont live near surrey do you ??

this should make you feel better :lol:
2 batts and charger £350
https://www.its.co.uk/pd/NIMHPACK-Dewal ... MHPACK.htm
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

The generic batteries found on eBay and Amazon are fantastic. I’ve had no problems using them and they are cheap as chips.
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.
darrenba

Post by darrenba »

I just converted mine to run off my Makita batteries instead

These users thanked the author darrenba for the post:
Manuforti
Manuforti
Newly registered Member

Post by Manuforti »

big-all wrote:those prices are the lowest i have seen in years they didnt show them about a week ago others are £125 plus :shock:
i only notice them because to check for new dewalt toys i put in dewalt 18v and they are available on at least 4 off my favorates :lol:
you dont live near surrey do you ??

this should make you feel better :lol:
2 batts and charger £350
https://www.its.co.uk/pd/NIMHPACK-Dewal ... MHPACK.htm

Sorry not near Surrey. Up in Aberdeen. There must be some logical reason the prices are soo high considering how old the tech is in comparison to the prices of batteries today.
Thanks again
Manuforti
Newly registered Member

Post by Manuforti »

darrenba wrote:I just converted mine to run off my Makita batteries instead

You'll need to give me the low down on how that's done. With the exception of the nailer, all the rest of my gear is Makita 18v.
Thanks
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

the only reason i asked is i have about 9 batteries 30% goosed 35% very worn and 35% hold a reasonable charge as i dont do ebay but free to a good home and pass on the good will when you can with the stuff i give you and your own ethos
i think fin and possibly others will back up my ethos on giving free to a good home may possibly tell you i enjoy helping and will never sell stuff that i could give to help others on there way in life as long as they have a share free with others when not needed rather than a grab and sell ethos :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
Manuforti
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Manuforti wrote:There must be some logical reason the prices are soo high considering how old the tech is in comparison to the prices of batteries today.
Production volumes. NiCd and NiMH are now an extremely small part of the market so volumes manufactured and sold are minimal. Because of this many of the big raw materials manufacturers and their customers (the battery cell makers) have changed direction, dropped production of NiCd and NiMH materials and cells, and that has left only a few small firms with low volume production in the market. With low volumes come higher prices. It isn't like electronics where the basic chemistry of the board components remains the same for generations and where lower powered chips stay in production for a long period with the tooling and development costs amortised in the early years of production.

As it happens there are quite a few firms out there (e.g. Knighton Tools) who can re-cell existing batteries, which is one way to keep things going. Personally I wouldn't be tempted to star snipping wires inside my nailer simply because there must be a good reason why DW made an adaptor for Li-Ion batteries which precludes their use on nailers. Could it be anything to do with over-depletion of the Li-Ion batteries causing damage? (especially if running 2Ah batteries) Modern tools and batteries both have protection circuitry to prevent overheating of the battery - the old DW guns lack that. Just a thought
These users thanked the author Job and Knock for the post:
Manuforti
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
Manuforti
Newly registered Member

Post by Manuforti »

Sorry for not replying sooner.
That's a good theory about the small part of the market. You may well be right there.
I do think there is some kind of protection into this finish nailer, as it always shut down when the battery got too low for it to fire, but stick the battery in a drill and it would power the drill no problem. So I'm thinking there is something missing from the compatible batteries that it needs. I'm just at a loss as to why the li-ion adapter and battery won't work either. May be something to do with the fact it only available for the American market. Maybe they have different set up, as well as having 20v instead of 18v. But again that can't be it as my work colleague is able to run all his old NIMH gear with the adapter. He doesn't have a finish nailer.
I can't seem to find anybody out there that's having or had the same issue.
Sorry for wittering on.
Thanks
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

its the same batteries 5x3.6v=18v but when fully charged they go to about 20% overvoltage to around 21.6v and drop to perhaps 17v when they stop the same with 10.8/12v
Manuforti

Return to “Dewalt”