DVD scart to HDMI - am I barking up the wrong tree?

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

driverproblems
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DVD scart to HDMI - am I barking up the wrong tree?

Post by driverproblems »

Got a DVD with scart connectoion - which also has red, blue & green sockets for output

I have an adapter for HD which has red, Yellow & white sockets
20181020_090106.jpg
20181020_090106.jpg (3.6 MiB) Viewed 1695 times
Is there a way of getting this to work? or do I need some other approach

cheers for any advice
Attachments
20181020_090143.jpg
20181020_090143.jpg (4.01 MiB) Viewed 1695 times
Rorschach

Re: DVD scart to HDMI - am I barking up the wrong tree?

Post by Rorschach »

Plug it in and find out. Probably won't work though as you need a digital conversion, those outputs are analogue, possibly the same with the scart.

A scart to HDMI converter is not very expensive.

I just bought a HDMI to COM converter so I can use my projector, cost about £3 on ebay and works a treat.
ericmark

Post by ericmark »

Component cables are capable of carrying a full bandwidth 1080p signal, so with all things being ideal, a component cable and a HDMI cable can bring you the same level of quality. However, things are not ideal because support for that signal is unofficial: the CEA did not approve it as part of the standard. There are boxes that can convert however some Blu-ray titles have encrypted/HDCP content that is not viewable in hi-video resolution except through HDMI. So HDMI instead of component frees you from that possible incompatibility.

SCART should also be able to show 1080p however with our TV it has both SCART and HDMI as does our Sky HD box, so it is easy to flit between the two, doing so it is very evident that HDMI picture is far better viewed on a 32" TV.

The same was noted with Blu-ray player, even with a DVD HDMI picture is far better, every converter I have found needs power in some way, often 5 volt USB powered, so think you will need a box of some type, not just a cable.
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

YPbPr is analogue, yes you can buy leads but they rarely work, to do it properly you need a convertor the cheap ones are poor at best and good ones are £50 upwards

imho it would be cheaper to replace the dvd player (£15-50) brand new - yours looks like a pioneer dvd player - you can get a Blu-ray player for £50 up

Return to “Electric Forum UK”