Been thanked: 0

Re: Toupret tx110 isn't rubbish!!!

Post by stse88 »

Any advice? I need help please [emoji120]

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Desmondo15

Post by Desmondo15 »

Can you give us a close up of what's going on?
stse88
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by stse88 »

This it after 4 coats and dried for 48 hrs. Hopefully you can see it, as it's hard to get a picture, the lines as very faint, but in bright sunlight shows up. Image

stse88
Newly registered Member

Post by stse88 »

Hopefully the arrow marks give an indication of the faint lines and then another picture south where the lines are. Think uploading the photos to the forum doesn't show them due to compressing the pictures more? Added photos to my Google drive, hopefully they be better to show the issue. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... 3f85e0.jpg[/img]Image

Desmondo15

Post by Desmondo15 »

Hard to tell my end.

Is it like a different shade of red rather than raised filler?
OchAye

Re: Toupret tx110 is rubbish!!!

Post by OchAye »

stse88 wrote:Image
This one shows the problem.

I tried to respond last night and got more long winded than normal so I gave up. On the photo above you see the lines of the filler on the wall, e.g. 2-3 fingers width (guessing the width) and not the actual cracks (the filler on the wall is wider than the cracks). Am I correct or do you see the actual cracks and not the full width of the filler on the wall?

It can be that the filler is reacting with the paint and its red things, I was crap at chemistry at school and still am. In my simple mind, I would guess:
- the wall is possibly flatter where you have filled as opposed to the immediately adjacent area which may have orange peel, therefore the light reflects differently from each area.
- also the edge of the filler against the old paint can be visible which then draws the eye to the lines
- different absorption rates over the filled and not filled area (after so many coats it should not be an issue).
- the opacity of the paint may also have something to do with it ... and perhaps what you see over the white filler is the correct colour.

As long as there is no obvious defect on the surface i.e. the filler is not raised or is lower than the surface ... who is going to say better paint (acrylic?) or Gardz?

PS. I don't use Dulux and never painting anything in red, which apparently is a difficult colour to handle.
Desmondo15

Post by Desmondo15 »

Ah yes can see it now.

I think you need to seal the whole wall and start again then at least it will be an even absorption.

And try a decent paint, not Dulux retail, like Ochaye says red is a bitch - I'd be going Benjamin Moore Regal or Aura in this case. I know it's expensive but it gets the job done.
Desmondo15

Post by Desmondo15 »

Are you using a medium pile roller??
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

Desmondo15 wrote:Ah yes can see it now.
After I wrote an answer last night that I threw the kitchen sink in, then I looked at the original photo and lost the will to live or to edit my waffle.
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

As above, Reds are a particular problem due to the pigments, same for pinks obv. Last thing I would do though is coat with anything like a sealer at this point.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
Desmondo15

Post by Desmondo15 »

wine~o wrote:As above, Reds are a particular problem due to the pigments, same for pinks obv. Last thing I would do though is coat with anything like a sealer at this point.
Why?

What would you do?
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

Desmondo15 wrote:
wine~o wrote:As above, Reds are a particular problem due to the pigments, same for pinks obv. Last thing I would do though is coat with anything like a sealer at this point.
Why?

Because then it'll need another 4 (guess) coats to get a solid colour with retail emulsion

What would you do?
2 more coats of whatever the OP is using and pray... :?
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
Desmondo15

Post by Desmondo15 »

See where your coming from but if it ain't working after 3 I'd be thinking to cut my losses and try a different approach to eliminate the main issue.

By sealing or priming your going to have universal absorption so no issues in patchy colours.

It's a bit of a gamble to keep going with the mush especially cheap mush.
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

I guess, if the problem is the filler sitting proud from the old paint, then more coats and a bit of extra skill on creating orange peel may do the trick the only catch is how many more coats... it has had enough already.
stse88
Newly registered Member

Post by stse88 »

Thanks for the advice guys and interesting that it could be the red pigment to blame. I will need to look up these paint brands I've never heard of check the prices and would going pink again still give me the same issue as mentioned it could be the red pigment.

I've got enough of the pink paint left for 2 coats on the wall, so might just coat it the final 2 coats to see if it works since been coated that many times already and it's gets slightly better and harder to see the filler causing the pink to be slightly whiter.

So the suggestion of sealing the wall, what do I use to seal the wall? I'm a novice so need some explanation on this.

If I can persuade my daughter to pick another colour are there any other pigments I should avoid? Hoping that if I just paint the wall with white matt emulsion again for my base coat then I'll, be good to put the new colour without any issue?

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”