Bathroom plinth lights.

All electrical lighting questions in here please. Including outside lighting and light switch / dimmer questions.

Moderator: Moderators

ashleywood.ash

Bathroom plinth lights.

Post by ashleywood.ash »

Hi guys
I am contemplating putting plinth lights in my bathroom but would like them on a separate switch to my existing pull cord light.
I know the lights usually run off of a plug in transformer. I have access under the floor (bathroom is ground floor) so I could spur a socket under the floor ( there might already be a socket there actually) and run wires up under the bath. Bath is free standing and standing on a plinth so I can put the transformer under the plinth as I have a service hatch in the plinth.
What are my options for a switch as I don't want to chase new wires. Can I use a wireless switch or a remote and reciever?
Someone-Else

Re: Bathroom plinth lights.

Post by Someone-Else »

Have you got an amazon echo? you can ask alexa to turn them on for you
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

someone-else wrote:Have you got an amazon echo? you can ask alexa to turn them on for you
Can Alexa do the wiring as well :B
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Of course alaexa cant do the wiring, he only asked about a switch

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

ashleywood.ash

Post by ashleywood.ash »

I don't have Alexa. Could be persuaded to buy one though. How would that match up, I don't really know anything about Alexa. Does that have a reciever or a plug in part for the socket or something
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Just my opinion, but I think they are great. (But the jokes are bad)
You can buy a "sonoff" unit you connect your lights (in your case) to this and hide it away. You then can tell alaexa to turn on bath lights. you can also turn it on / off from your phone (no alexa required) sonoff unit is around £6.00 we have 3 of them.

ashleywood.ash

Post by ashleywood.ash »

Great.
Do I just need the echo dot to link to the sonoff unit or does it need the big fancy expensive ones
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

If you want to speak to ask alexa to turn on the lights you just need an Amazon echo dot. You are in luck, they are on special (again) and are only £39 and they have lots more uses (Including telling jokes e.g. "I have a friend who is a smart light, but sometimes he can be a little dim"

Sonoff switch >£6 ebay

Bear in mind you don't need an "Alexa" to operate a Sonoff unit, you can do it directly from a smartphone, but having an Alexa is more fun.

As an aside fact, you buy an "Alexa" download the app, plug it in (It comes with a "wall wart") via the app you connect alexa to your wifi, that's it, no teaching, it understands you as soon as its set up and working, and if you have two or more, you can talk from one room to the next (Where ever the other alexa is)

Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Just in case anyone is (even slightly) interested I made a short video..............
And before you ask why its called "36" the answer is it is easier for us. (as its a fan it can be moved from room to room, and Alexa would not know which fan we want on / off, so I came up with the idea of numbers)

Return to “Lighting”