Hanging a Mirror...

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

MarkP72
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Hanging a Mirror...

Post by MarkP72 »

So my builder has ran a gas pipe and wires (see images) down a wall and then created a small false wall over the top with plasterboard.

The issue I have now is that the boss wants a 30kg mirror hung onto it. I don't where the stud work is behind, I'm worried about hitting the pipe/wires and worried about whether the plasterboard will take the weight.

My best guess so far it to hang it from two hollow wall bolt anchors near the top centre. That should miss everything. Then perhaps support it with a long 'L' shaped bracket underneath the bottom edge of the frame.

Anyone got any better suggestions??
Attachments
After
After
IMG-20181014-WA0002.jpg (78.63 KiB) Viewed 1334 times
Before
Before
IMG-20181014-WA0000.jpg (150.75 KiB) Viewed 1334 times
Someone-Else

Re: Hanging a Mirror...

Post by Someone-Else »

Yes, don't fix it to the plasterboard it will fall down. At least you have a good picture of the pipes and cables, you should easily be able to figure out where they are, so don't fix any less than 30cm from the left.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

Is there anything on the mirror to facilitate hanging? It looks a bit like an old mirror that might have a chain on the back.

If you just need one central fixing, find a stud, put the kids to bed, turn off the telly and tap the wall with the fat end of a pencil, you can easily hear the difference between just p/b and p/b with a stud behind it. The stud should be at least 35mm wide.
One day it will all be firewood.
MarkP72
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by MarkP72 »

There's a couple fixing points on the sides about three quarters of the way up. Can't use those directly as one will hit the wires. I could run a chain through them and hang centrally like you suggest. Although that's dependant on there being a stud in exactly the middle.

If there's no stud do you think a hollow wall anchor or two could hold it??
London mike 61

Post by London mike 61 »

A year or so ago I had the same problem , so I bought myself a set of magnets

https://www.first4magnets.com/circular- ... pull-p6221

To help me find the screws in the stud work.
I have since used them a lot and I find they are the quickest way to find studs without poking holes in walls.

Mike
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

Return to “General DIY forum”