Rendered But Damp

This Forum is for all questions relating to Rising damp, Penetrating Damp, Basement Drainage, Cracked Masonry and Wall tie replacement.

Moderator: Moderators

Mark-J

Rendered But Damp

Post by Mark-J »

Was hoping someone could put my mind at rest.

I've just had my shed rendered, about a week ago, but we've been having horrendous rainfall for two days and one side of the shed has a bit of 'wet' coming through (see pics below).

The walls are dry everywhere else and looking on the outside of the wall I can't see the reason why they'd be wet on the inside.

The walls haven't been painted with masonry paint just yet so is this to be expected until they are painted (and therefore sealed)?
MJ3.jpg
MJ3.jpg (406.64 KiB) Viewed 3546 times
MJ4.jpg
MJ4.jpg (401.18 KiB) Viewed 3546 times

Thanks all
wes56

Re: Rendered But Damp

Post by wes56 »

is the lower wall damp too?
the mortar joints look very large. what kind of mortar was used?
can you post pics of the render and eaves/fascia on the outside of the wall?
These users thanked the author wes56 for the post:
Mark-J
Rating: 7.14%
Mark-J

Post by Mark-J »

wes56 wrote:is the lower wall damp too?
the mortar joints look very large. what kind of mortar was used?
can you post pics of the render and eaves/fascia on the outside of the wall?
Hi Wes

Thanks for replying.

The lower parts of the wall are all dry, as are all the other walls. That side of the shed does bear the brunt of any bad weather. And you're right about the joints, they are too large and now you mention it the water does seem to be converging around them. Is there anything I can do about that or will I have to take extreme measures with the walls? I'll be devastated if I have to tear them down :/

(Just heard on the radio we've had the worst flood in Wales for 30 years!)

The mortar was blue circle, the brickie used Feb, and I think he also used builder's sand.

I'll can post pics tomorrow.
Mark-J

Post by Mark-J »

Here are two pics of the render outside the problem part
MJ1.jpg
MJ1.jpg (373.94 KiB) Viewed 3547 times
and
MJ2.jpg
MJ2.jpg (300.52 KiB) Viewed 3547 times

It's odd because there are other areas where the mortar joints are just as thick but it's bone dry.

See the part of the roof where the edging has warped away? That occurs in two other places but again, it's bone dry there. They should have been battoned down or similar but they weren't (I'll be fixing that in the future)
wes56

Post by wes56 »

is the edging metal?

the fascia could have done with being held off the actual wall, likewise when felt or pliable edging material is used its usually wrapped round a drip piece that throws water off away from the wall below.

i notice the drying out staining pattern on the render and wonder if the render was applied in the correct way? was SBR used on the bare block?
even though i dont like Tyrolean, it might be a case of using Tyrolean on that wall and see how it goes?
Mark-J

Post by Mark-J »

wes56 wrote:is the edging metal?
No there's no metal in there
wes56 wrote:the fascia could have done with being held off the actual wall, likewise when felt or pliable edging material is used its usually wrapped round a drip piece that throws water off away from the wall below.

i notice the drying out staining pattern on the render and wonder if the render was applied in the correct way? was SBR used on the bare block?
I don't know if SBR was used anywhere but I noticed he used some solution in a bottle that had 'Waterproof' on it. I think that was just added to the mix though. I can't recall what it was actually called.
wes56 wrote:even though i dont like Tyrolean, it might be a case of using Tyrolean on that wall and see how it goes?
I'll look up 'Tyrolean'. Is it mixed in with the masonry paint or applied to the render and then painted over?

Thanks Wes
wes56

Post by wes56 »

the loose edging material might have something to do with the damp, i doubt it but its a possibility.
no, SBR is like outdoors PVA and it goes on to the raw masonry. used properly its good stuff.
Tyrolean is applied with a flicker gun on to the render coating finish surface.
its then spray painted with masonry paint.
Mark-J

Post by Mark-J »

The renderer came around yesterday and took a look. He said it was odd it was getting wet in just that area, but also said it should be fine once it's been painted/sealed.

Should be? Doesn't sound too promising.
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

See my last comment about Sandtex paint at this thread. When the time comes ask Sandtex. :dunno:
Mark-J

Post by Mark-J »

OchAye wrote:See my last comment about Sandtex paint at this thread. When the time comes ask Sandtex. :dunno:
Good idea about contacting Sandtex.

Thanks OchAye

Return to “Damp Proofing and Remedial problems”