brown sheathed cable ?

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

ChippyJoe

brown sheathed cable ?

Post by ChippyJoe »

I'm retro fitting some kitchen under-cabinet downlighters with recessed LED types where in most cases I have been able to route the cables hidden behind the cabinets.
However, in the case of 2 glass fronted cabinets there is no space behind the cabinets or means of removing the cabinets to get access behind. The only straight forward way is to run the new cables within the cabinet, or up along the side (at the back) - my 'customer' is asking whether these cables could be pine/light brown sheathed to blend in as much as possible.
I have some 'flexi gold' cable (from TLC) but he feels that is a bit 'too dark'.
Long shot this, but does anyone know of some twin core in a light brown sheath available, or other means of 'camouflaging' in light brown.
ayjay

Re: brown sheathed cable ?

Post by ayjay »

Mini-trunking: (inside the cupboard)?
These users thanked the author ayjay for the post:
ChippyJoe
Rating: 7.14%
One day it will all be firewood.
arco_iris

Post by arco_iris »

I have successfully used small blobs of superglue every 6 inches to hold the cable up the corner, then piped coloured silicone over the top of it.
These users thanked the author arco_iris for the post:
ChippyJoe
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

arco_iris wrote:I have successfully used small blobs of superglue every 6 inches to hold the cable up the corner, then piped coloured silicone over the top of it.
:withstupid:

tucked right into the corner and caulked over I think it would look very neat.
These users thanked the author Rorschach for the post:
ChippyJoe
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

You can actually colour PVC using dyes - here's a Youtube video on the process. Get some white cable and chose your dye colour!

These users thanked the author kellys_eye for the post:
ChippyJoe
Don't take it personally......
ChippyJoe

Post by ChippyJoe »

Thanks you for the replies, very helpful and interesting.
I did see some brown trunking advertised but a bit dark, but amazon showed some pine coloured but a bit too large in section size - certainly will be a good approach in some of my other jobs.
The tacking wire back and then a coloured silicone bead is good, and agreed the way to go now with the customer, so great and thanks for that.
And gosh, the PVC dye approach is really interesting but maybe a bit more than I want to go this time - seems a more US thing maybe, not sure dyes are so easily available here. I think I will investigate this more for future jobs/projects/offerings as nobody wants to see cables unless they have to.
Funny how youtube takes you to another video after the first, and the next was 'make PVC look like wood, which is another good one for me in the future too - many thanks all, I feel good for the new knowledge today !
AlwaysLearning

Post by AlwaysLearning »

kellys_eye wrote:You can actually colour PVC using dyes - here's a Youtube video on the process. Get some white cable and chose your dye colour!

Perhaps shrinkwrap the white cable so you can strip it if the colouring goes wrong?
It always takes longer than I thought

Return to “Electric Forum UK”