Maybe a daft question.

All building related posts in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

Argyll

Maybe a daft question.

Post by Argyll »

Does sharp sand go off?

The reason I ask is I bought some a couple of weeks ago and have left it in my trailer uncovered. I've laid about half the amount of slabs and haven't laid as much as I had hoped due to the weather. I'm off on my holidays for almost a month and plan to carry on when I return. I'm sure I read somewhere sharp sand can go off but I'm not sure if it was a wind up or not. I personally can't think that it does as it sits in the building yard doing the same thing as what it's doing on my trailer but then I thought maybe the rain washes some parts away :dunno:
OchAye

Re: Maybe a daft question.

Post by OchAye »

Over a few centuries it would become fine(r) sand. I would just cover it if you can so it does not collect other assorted stuff and the finer bits do not sink to the bottom thanks to the rain.
These users thanked the author OchAye for the post:
Argyll
Rating: 7.14%
Ktuludays

Post by Ktuludays »

I'd say no, had some sat in a bulk bag outside for 9 months at a renovation I've been on and still fine whenever I needed it during that period.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

I remember being told something about if you leave it out in the open, it "Gets the sharps washed out of it"
I don't know whether that's one of those things that goes around or not. I've had sand for ages in smaller bags and it's been OK.
arco_iris

Post by arco_iris »

I don't know but over the last eighteen months of running three refurb. projects I've had some pretty fussy builders on this subject.

The first one, I've since fallen out with, wouldn't use sand (from Merchant A) that had been on site for a month or two and had got wet/damp. (Personally I'd have thought you just put a bit less water in the mixer).

After an break, the next guy engaged said that Merchant A's sand on site was cr*p anyway & insisted I ordered a particular (Pantgwyn) sand from a different source - so I got the cement from there too. When he ran out of cement & I said I'd pick up a couple of bags from Merchant A, just down the road, no I couldn't do that it would be different.

Blimey, it all looks the same to me!
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

Sand becomes more like soil, goes lumpy. But probably because it gets wet and fine particles get washed down or possibly out of the container. That is from my limited experience.

Cement, I have been had at Wickes not checking the expiry date. When I came to use what I had bought was some 6+ months out of date which means I had bought it a few months earlier borderline on the expiry date. If you stick to the same brand/type and it is within its shelf life it is b*llocks.
arco_iris

Post by arco_iris »

Merchant A will not accept return of any powdered product, regardless. As I said, who knew, it all looks the same!
Gadget
Jack Of All Trades

Post by Gadget »

Could be cats pee, that ruins any kind of sand.
By eck! ©
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

Gadget wrote:Could be cats pee, that ruins any kind of sand.
Mate I have 3 lurchers who have already sent 2 cats to for an early bath. There's more chance of getting fairies on my property than cats :thumbright:
These users thanked the author Argyll for the post:
Gadget
Rating: 7.14%
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

cats love a bit of sand, give it a good mix before you go to use it, there is a house locally that was rendered the gable end was done with sand from supplier A and the rear was done with sand from another supplier and there's a big difference in colour

I have also seen it with mortar/pointing where you can see the mix or batch changed

Return to “Building Forum”