All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

EvilZombie
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Makita 18v staple question

Post by EvilZombie »

Hi all, I am looking for a Makita 18v nailer/stapler that will fire these, if one exists.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/tacwise-91-s ... pack/86870

Thanks in advance
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Re: Makita 18v staple question

Post by big-all »

heeelllooo and welcome EvilZombie :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
what exactly are you planning on using them for as they are for lightish pinning not nailing
https://www.screwfix.com/p/tacwise-91-s ... _container
we are all ------------------still learning
EvilZombie
Newly registered Member

Post by EvilZombie »

It's for fixing 6mm ply to chipboard flooring in prep for lvt. Have used these staples for this purpose for years, with a compressed air gun, but I'm sick of lugging the compressor around. Have got a number of Makita 18v tools already so was hoping to stay in that realm. Cheers!
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

job&knock is the one that will know the answer to this one :lol:
we are all ------------------still learning
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Well, I do have a gas stapler which drives 16ga narrow crown staples - both chisel point and divergent point types - but that particular gun is a Paslode IM200 and when I bought it it really was the only game in town.
Paslode IM200 Gas Stapler 001_02.jpg
Paslode IM200 Gas Stapler 001_02.jpg (52.93 KiB) Viewed 3459 times
Paslode IM200 Gas Stapler 001_01.jpg
Paslode IM200 Gas Stapler 001_01.jpg (33.41 KiB) Viewed 3459 times
Mine gets used for stapling plywood to timber studwork, securing insulation and fixing perimeter track (very noisily) onto shadow batten when building suspended ceilings. I have no doubt that it would do the task you are looking at, but it's no Makita. The other thing is that to date I have failed to find a 3rd party supplier of staples for the gun.

AFAIK the only staplers that Makita do are the DST112 stapler (18 volt) for 7 and 10mm RT type staples and the DST221 staples (also 18 volt) for 0.6 x 1.2mm section staples from 10 to 22mm length. There may well be 10.8 volt versions of these around as well. TBH these staplers might be OK for upholstery, but I can't see them fixing sub floors

deWalt have introduced a cordless 18 volt narrow crown stapler, their DCN681 model, which is designed to fire narrow crown 18ga staples from 12 to 38mm, which is in your size range, and it is designed for flooring work. What I don't know is whether or not it will fire the type of nails you use and I am unable to ascertain whether or not DW make/can supply a divergent point staple for this gun. You'd have thought that they would, though
deWalt DCN681 Stapler 001_01.JPG
deWalt DCN681 Stapler 001_01.JPG (24.94 KiB) Viewed 3459 times
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
EvilZombie
Newly registered Member

Post by EvilZombie »

Hey, thanks for taking the time to write a detailed reply, have managed to source this from Amazon that seems to be doing the job, and takes the tacwise 90 divergents. How long it will last though at the price it was remains to be seen

VonHaus Cordless Nail Gun - Stapler Nailer 18V Li-ion 2AH – Ergonomic – for Household DIY, Fabrics, Upholstery, Underlay, Carpeting, Roofing & Crafts Model No. 15/391 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07C9DDCVL/ ... WBbTNVHZS5

Seems my only other option is to spend a fair few Bob

Thanks again
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

I wouldn't recommend von Haus (or even Tacwise) guns for long term or heavy-duty use - I simply don't think that they are built that way. TBH I already knew that DW were bringing out (or had brought out recently) a flooring stapler, but it turns out to be a lighter staple than my Paslode delivers. I wasn't sure about Makita, especially as they have recently introduced a battery/air 16ga nailer, so I had to ask a few questions. For heavy work into old/hard floors (e.g. very old pitch or parana pine which can be rock hard) the electric staplers will struggle, based on my own experience with battery nailers on dense hardwoods. Though it pains me to say it or denser/hard materials there is simply no alternative to gas. Fortunately about 90% of the time I'm dealing with lighter hardwoods, softwood and MDF which is far easier on the guns
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
EvilZombie
Newly registered Member

Post by EvilZombie »

Yeah I'm only ever nailing into chipboard floors on new builds so, guess I'll see how it holds up

Return to “Tool Talk”