WillFrench
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wall base plinth

Post by WillFrench »

Hi

I'm new to the forum

We bought a 1950s ex council house 2 years ago with a view of updating/modernising. We have just about finished the inside and now looking at tarting up the outside.

The exterior is bare red brickwork, the rustic type with zigzag wire marks and to be honest Its the one bit of the house I hate, I've tried cleaning it up at the rear of the house but it still doesn't look pretty.

I would like to clad the house in grey weatherboard cladding but also have a brick wall base plinth at the bottom of the walls a couple of foot high. I've seen this setup on new builds that have been rendered and I think it looks quite smart. It means I can have some brickwork on show but it will be new so I can have it done nicely with decorative bricks.

My question is can this be done? It will be in effect a third skin of brickwork at the base of the wall and tied directly onto the existing outer wall and purely for decorative purposes. It would also have a dpc at the same height as the exisiting one so not to breach the dpc on the existing wall.

Thanks in advance.

Will

Return to “Building Forum”