All building related posts in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

micko74
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Thoughts on how to get some fascia/soffit out

Post by micko74 »

Hi,

I'm after some advice on how to - safely - get at this bit of fascia.

See attached file, area circled in red.
Area circled in red
Area circled in red
fascia.png (192.37 KiB) Viewed 1702 times
The section of fascia covers about 2.7 - 3.0 meters (the conservatory is about 2.7 m wide)
On the left hand side there is a sloped conservatory roof - thick plastic, not glass.
On the right hand side there is a sloped slate tile roof.
The guttering is plastic, and I can get that out of the way pretty easily.
At the far end, the neighbour's new conservatory butts up against my slate roof.
There is a small access of 40-50 cms wide leading between my conservatory and the neighbour's.
I'm on good terms with my neighbour so access isn't a problem.

My concern is having two sloping roofs, and trying to position myself on one to be able to access the fascia and get it out, refurbish it, and get it back in again. I expect it to be very difficult to get to the soffit/fascia as there is very little room between the conservatory roof/gutter and the fascia/soffit, so I want to be sure I am working in a reasonable position.

In the foreground, the fascia is separate to that over the conservatory. I am using that to practice on. I seem to have to get the soffit out first, undoing the screws, then prying out the soffit boards. The prying is more to do with them being stuck after not moving for so long, rather than their being fastened other than the screws. The fascia is secured by big nails going into the rafters, and embedded into the fascia boards, which is why I am removing the soffit first - to get a crowbar in underneath to pry out the fascia board.

I have been avoiding this for a while, as I couldn't see how to do it safely - but I think it is where my local rats are coming in for a party in the void space, so I want to refurbish and plug up all the gaps.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or ideas anyone can give me. :dunno:

Thanks, Mick

(fyi, this is my first post so any comments please let me know and I will sort, thanks)
micko74
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Re: Thoughts on how to get some fascia/soffit out

Post by micko74 »

Hi,

didn't get any responses to this, but I found that taking off the conservatory roof panels and working from inside the conservatory was best.
Working from the roof was a really bad idea - access was difficult and not very stable.

Slight issue was getting the roof panels back on, but just needed a bit of elbow grease and some gentle levering.

Hopefully I have stopped the rats from getting in - at least for a couple of years!

Cheers, Mick
Ktuludays

Post by Ktuludays »

I think the reason you didn't get any responses was that it looked a)a mega tricky job from your pics and b) without seeing it close up it is difficult to give sound advice.

Well done on sorting it though. I looked at your pics and thought "I'm glad I'm not tackling that one" [emoji23]

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

glad you got it sorted as Ktuludays says a bu66er off a job so hence the reluctance to comment :lol:
we are all ------------------still learning

Return to “Building Forum”