Help-Installing an extractor fan.

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

Argyll

Help-Installing an extractor fan.

Post by Argyll »

I purchased the following extractor fan today as a replacement to one that failed.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electr ... Fan/p36701 The first one item 36701

There are three wires coming from the ceiling which are live, neutral and earth. The extractor fan has two black wires going in to live and neutral in a chocbloc (see diagram). There is no earth so I just ignored the earth.

I initially connected the live from the ceiling in to the live on the chocbloc and the neutral from the ceiling into the neutral on the chocbloc. The fan came on when I switched the power back on but won't switch off. It's on constantly. I looked at the instructions and it mentioned something about the 'T' being the switch. I can't recall right now what the 'T' stood for but I'm sure some one will know. So I called the technical helpline who told me to connect the live from the ceiling in to the 'T' on the chocbloc and to move the black wire from the live into the 'T' on the chocbloc but I'm getting the same problem.

My understanding is the fan should only come on when it's humid which it wasn't. Is this correct?

What am I doing wrong?
Attachments
Extractor fan wiring.pdf
(15.39 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
darrenba

Re: Help-Installing an extractor fan.

Post by darrenba »

That fan is just a basic on/off fan. There's no timer or humidity sensor.
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

Ah! I thought it was one or the other.

So what does the timer one actually do? Does it time out after a specific time? And presumably the humidistat type only cuts in when it's over a certain humidity?
darrenba

Post by darrenba »

Yes, the timer one will shut off a specific time after the lights are switched off. But as you only have a live and neutral that won't work as you need a switched live too for a timer fan.
So you'll have to go with a humidistat one.
These users thanked the author darrenba for the post:
Argyll
Rating: 7.14%
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

Cheers pal. You'd have thought the guy at technical help would have told me that.

Return to “Electric Forum UK”