Moderator: Moderators

Kieron457
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Fixing picture frame mouldings to wall papered brick wall

Post by Kieron457 »

Hello all,

I found this youtube video on how to create a wainscot effect by fixing picture frame mouldings to the wall (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKOLJ2BQOFA).

A nail gun is being used in the video, but my walls are solid brick with several layers of wallpaper which I'm not overly keen on stripping!...

So looking for suggestions on the best (and simplest) way for me to fix these mouldings onto my wallpapered brick walls?… ideally so they stay on and don't come off easily! :)

Afterwards I plan to paint over, after a bit of filling and sanding.

Cheers
dewaltdisney

Re: Fixing picture frame mouldings to wall papered brick wal

Post by dewaltdisney »

There are two thoughts on this. You will be fixing to a wallpaper substrate which will hold the light weight moulding but if someone brushes against it it will more than likely to pull off. PVA with some tape to hold it while it sets in place would do it or Gripfill. Now I will pee on your bonfire and tell you that this sort of decoration is passée now and belongs in the 90's. I think you will make a mistake doing this, it would be better to go more modern really. :thumbright:

DWD
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Assuming that you don't want to go all modern you could always screw it to the wall. Use something like no8 screws which won't leave a huge hole to fill in later . One other tip is to paint the picture frame rail first then you'll only have to touch up the screw holes.
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

dewaltdisney wrote:There are two thoughts on this. You will be fixing to a wallpaper substrate which will hold the light weight moulding but if someone brushes against it it will more than likely to pull off. PVA with some tape to hold it while it sets in place would do it or Gripfill. Now I will pee on your bonfire and tell you that this sort of decoration is passée now and belongs in the 90's. I think you will make a mistake doing this, it would be better to go more modern really. :thumbright:

DWD

Nah it's back in vogue now, wainscoting that is, rather than just dado rails or border tape. Give a few years though and it will look dated again, and be a nightmare to pull off.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

A little while ago I redecorated the hall and stairs. Grey , because it seems to be the "in" colour at the moment and I used a dark grey below dado height and light grey above with a painted black line separating the two. Looked good I thought . Sister in lard came round and said "looks like a doctor's waiting room" , a comment that seemed to stick with my wife so I ended up having to put in a wooden dado rail , stained rather than painted but work I wasn't going to do.
In the living room we have a picture frame rail around 16 inches or so from the ceiling with wallpaper above and paint below.
Kieron457
Newly registered Member

Post by Kieron457 »

It was actually my gf's idea after she saw some pics on *****... seems like too much hard work now when I think about it... will stick with painting the halls, stairs and landing all white... a lot easier! :-)
Kieron457
Newly registered Member

Post by Kieron457 »

Oh... not sure why in my last message a website's name was replaced with "*****"?... wasn't anything rude
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

Kieron457 wrote:Oh... not sure why in my last message a website's name was replaced with "*****"?... wasn't anything rude
The most likely reason is that the company you linked to has been banned from here for spamming, or that you have come under suspicion yourself, as it's by no means unknown for new posters to ask a question which later prompts them to post the website that they wanted to advertise from the start.
One day it will all be firewood.
moderator2
UHM Super Moderator

Post by moderator2 »

The word in in our word censor as a result of previous spamming.

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”